Grot Fanatics vs Slaanesh Daemon Prince

Forrix

Question

This came up in my gaming facebook group:

Who fights first? Fanatics or a Slaanesh Daemon Prince (assume Prince is within 3 inches of Fanatics).

Grot Fanatics's Whirling Death:

This unit fights at the start of the combat phase, before the players pick any other units to fight in that combat phase. This unit cannot fight again in the combat phase unless an ability or spell allows it to fight more than once.

Slaanesh Daemon Prince:

Daemon Princes are impossibly quick. When you opponent selects a unit within 3" of the Daemon Prince to pile in and attack in the combat phase, you can immediately select the daemon prince to pile in and attack before the enemy unit, even though it is not your turn to do so.  This model can only do this if it has not already attacked in this phase.

The 3 opinions that popped up were:

1.) Grots go first because of the line "before players pick any other units to fight..."

2.) Daemon Prince goes first because his ability triggers when the Fanatics are selected.

3.) It would depend on which player's turn it is as they happen simultaneously

4 answers to this question

Going off the ruling from the recent Idoneth Deepkin FAQ who ever turn it is gets to fight first if both armies have units with similar rules.

Though an argument can be made that the Daemon Prince has an interrupt instead of fighting first since the fanatics have to be chosen to fight first and he stops the fight first to do his own attacks instead it doesn’t actually say he is fighting first but pile in and attacking.

30 minutes ago, King Taloren said:

Going off the ruling from the recent Idoneth Deepkin FAQ who ever turn it is gets to fight first if both armies have units with similar rules.

Though an argument can be made that the Daemon Prince has an interrupt instead of fighting first since the fanatics have to be chosen to fight first and he stops the fight first to do his own attacks instead it doesn’t actually say he is fighting first but pile in and attacking.

Yeah, for me it hinges on fighting = selected to pile in and attack. From reading the core rules I'd say it does but it doesn't flat out spell it out.

19 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Pretty unclear wording but I thought  if two abilities happen at the start of the phase. The player who’s turn it is decides the order. 

The Daemon Prince's ability isn't tied to the start of the phase. Its a reaction to another unit.

Archived