New wannabe Skirmish General!

Umbriel

Hullo,

Sort of new to measured miniature wargaming here, I used to play Blood Bowl in the 90s and I always wanted to get into "the real thing", so just a few years later... here I am! :)

Got 2 kids aged 8 and 10, so the plan is to mainly play and hobby with the family now.

We started out with the Storm Strike box in November then added the Knight Incantor, some more Castigators and Gryph-hounds for the Stormcast, and more Glaivewraiths and some heroes for the Nighthaunt. Played through the introduction battleplans in the Storm Strike book, which I think did an ok job introducing the rules.

I then bought the Path to Glory book in December, thinking that might be a good way to play some more and slowly build up towards bigger armies. Looked through the book a bit and realised there's no rules for most of our miniatures in there, and then came the new Skirmish rules in White Dwarf,  which might be a better starting point for us?

I enjoy painting, but I'm a slow painter and while the kids like to help out, it doesn't really speed things up. :D

So my main plan now is to try to get two small Skirmish Warbands painted!
I'm also considering buying a better playing mat (mainly for skirmish) the paper one in the start set is a strange 22" by 43", maybe also buy/make some scenery to put on it...

Come to think of it they should really do a new starter set with the new skirmish rules, appropriate miniatures and a better sized playing mat to introduce the game to new players like me. :)

I think you're better off with skirmish than path to glory.  Path to glory seems like it should be a great way to play with small armies but then when you add in the random tables it actually takes a huge collection to play as intended.  It works fine playing with just using what you have, but it definitely misses something when you can't do the random army building.  I really think Path to Glory is best for people with very large collections.

Getting into terrain building and making your own playing surface and ruins and whatnot to fight over is also fun.  There are millions of youtube videos on this.  I recently made a skirmish mat by soaking watered down cheap interior paint into a microfibre blanket.  I taped garbage bags down on the table to protect it.  It took a day to dry but the end result is a nice stiff mat that looks like grass.  I'll probably make another with brown or grey or both at some point.

I also totally agree that they should make a starter set for skirmish designed that way from the ground up.  GW wants people to play the larger game with bigger armies to sell more models though.  So even Storm Strike, which is a far better match with Skirmish, assumes you'll be using the full sized game.

If you're going with Skirmish as your main way to play you're probably not going to need to get the battletome books for either stormcast or nighthaunt and you have a wider array of miniatures to choose from as you can add any Order or Death forces to your collecting if you like the look of them.  There are a variety of Easy to Build boxes that are the miniatures from the Shadespire/Nightvault boardgame.  Steelheart's Champions, The Farstriders and Deathrattle Sepulchral Guard.  You might want to consider them as a way to get a few Liberators or a few Skeletons or whatever.  They can be run as a character unit with its own warscroll that you can find on the product page or in the AoS app.  Or they can just be run as the generic types.

I'll have to look into how to make my own playing mat, but to be honest I'll probably buy one if I can find one that fits my needs. We already started to make some scenery, the kids loved that part. :)

I'm not planning to only play Skirmish, I would like to go on to Path of glory and "real" AoS games when I have enough miniatures for it, but it might take me a year or three to get there (at least if I want everything painted), so 2019 will probably mostly be skirmish (and some Blitz Bowl, which also works fine with the kids).

Oh, and I like the Underworld warbands, the one I like the most is the Thorns of the Briar queen, which I think is only available in the main box... but it might be fun to try that game too... :D

I actually bought the Nightvault core set to split with a friend who wanted the Briar Queen (I wanted the 4th and 5th Evocator to make a full unit with the 3 that came in Soul Wars and another Knight-Incantor for the battalion in the Stormcast battletome).  So far I've played the game about 6 times and it's good.  I can already see though that if you have a large card pool and build a tuned deck it will be stronger than just trying out the cards that come with each warband.  I was pleasantly surprised overall though.

I've heard good things about the products from Gamemat.eu -- I live in Canada though so I've never seen them myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived