Deathless Spirits and wholly within

Somnicide

Question

Sorry, I figured this would have been asked and answered, but couldn't find it int he FAQ or even with a search here. 

So, the language is as follows:

DEATHLESS SPIRITS

Roll a dice each time you allocate a wound or mortal wound to a friendly NIGHTHAUNT model from a unit wholly within 12" of your general or a friendly NIGHTHAUNT HERO. On a 6+, that wound or mortal wound is negated.

So, the question that has come up is that "or". Does the whole unit have to be within 12" of the same character or if the unit is wholly within 12" of a general or friendly character.

Bad example incoming:

c = chainrasp
g = general
h = hero
12" - end of general's bubble

................g......................h........
ccccccccccccccccc12"ccccccccccccc

Does the chainrasp unit get to roll to negate wounds or not?

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

35 minutes ago, Somnicide said:

Sorry, I figured this would have been asked and answered, but couldn't find it int he FAQ or even with a search here. 

So, the language is as follows:

So, the question that has come up is that "or". Does the whole unit have to be within 12" of the same character or if the unit is wholly within 12" of a general or friendly character.

Bad example incoming:

c = chainrasp
g = general
h = hero
12" - end of general's bubble

................g......................h........
ccccccccccccccccc12"ccccccccccccc

Does the chainrasp unit get to roll to negate wounds or not?

Thanks!

They way it is worded is very weird because typically you general is a HERO so that phrasing is kind of pointless unless you have an allied unit as a general which would be even weirder. Regardless I'm pretty sure RAW you can only choose one unit, the general or the HERO but not both. I say this because the wording is singular. If you could use multiple HEROES to use the buff then the wording would be plural. Also abilities that are used within the proximity of a HERO isn't new and if you could use multiple heroes to buff your army then we could be seeing a lot more HERO daisy-chaining in other armies for that purpose. 

Archived