Etheric Vortex

There are a few armies now that bring terrain with them to the table.  Sylvaeth's free wood, Nurgle's tree, Deepkins Boat, and Beastman's stone.  I can only anticiapte other armies are going to get similar things in the future.

What I think is very odd was GW created this Etheric Vortex rule to allow one peice of terrain to be placed by each player.  But since its only ever applied to deepkin players, they always can place 2 giant boats.

Could you think of a downside if all this player placed terrain (and maybe some of the other 'magic' terrain like a drakefire torn, or some magic graveyard) were flagged as this, so each player gets to place one piece?  Or do you think its better this way, each rules 'unique' to the book and the double boat thing is fine.  (To be clear, I'm not harping that the boats are 'TOO STRONG' or something, it just is such a massive terrain piece, its sort of annoying when 2 of them block off half the table in every game against DK).

2 hours ago, GlanceOnASix said:

There are a few armies now that bring terrain with them to the table.  Sylvaeth's free wood, Nurgle's tree, Deepkins Boat, and Beastman's stone.  I can only anticiapte other armies are going to get similar things in the future.

What I think is very odd was GW created this Etheric Vortex rule to allow one peice of terrain to be placed by each player.  But since its only ever applied to deepkin players, they always can place 2 giant boats.

Could you think of a downside if all this player placed terrain (and maybe some of the other 'magic' terrain like a drakefire torn, or some magic graveyard) were flagged as this, so each player gets to place one piece?  Or do you think its better this way, each rules 'unique' to the book and the double boat thing is fine.  (To be clear, I'm not harping that the boats are 'TOO STRONG' or something, it just is such a massive terrain piece, its sort of annoying when 2 of them block off half the table in every game against DK).

I mean the downside is to deepkin pretty aggressively if you do this. Because the terrain features are only ever a benefit to deepkin units. Meaning if you have 2 deepkin players they ALWAYS have two beneficial terrain peaices that  almost don't even matter because most of your army flies.  

I think the vortex rule was left open in this way to allow for design space for them to print more models. They could easily make kraken ,  sunken treasures,  or giant killer clams that also count as vortexs that take up this slot in your deepkin force.

Edit: Like I think the point of the army is that it out maneuvers almost every other army and part of ID is that the boats control space on the table from the start of the game. It is mildly nerfed because the boats get set up before you pick your deployment area. So the DK ppl layer has to set up both boats in a way that it equally blocks both deployment zones. If DK is too strong I'd balance that with point and not so much taking away a big part of the army. 

Archived