Playing Around With Some 1000pt Lists (SE)

tjgreenway

Now that I've had my grubby mitts on the GH for a few days, I figured I'd start to bash together a couple of 1000pt lists from what I currently have or intend to buy very soon and see what folks think. Any suggestions/critiques are more than welcome :)

List 1

Liberators (Hammer & Shield) x 5

Judicators (Bows) x 5

Lord Celestant on Foot

Knight Vexillor

Lord Relictor

Retributors x 5

Prosecutors x 3

Gryph Hounds x 4

Tried to go for balance with this one, with Judicators aiming fire at enemy heroes, Prosecutors darting about either taking people out from distance or holding objectives, and Retributors for smashy smashy, with Knight Vex in there to deep strike them if need be. The Liberators are in there as monster/hero hunters and for holding objectives, with the Lord Celestant in tow (2+ hits against 5 wound models for the Libs, if I remember correctly). That, and I have ten of them and intend to buy more to build with warblades, so I need to find space for them somewhere :P I had a spare 40 points leftover, so figured a unit of 4 Gryph Hounds would be ideal as protection for the Lord Relictor. Only problem with that is having to proxy the hounds with them being so hard to track down, but Fenris Wolves seem ideal and are reasonably priced.

Command trait for the Celestant would probably be Master of Defence if I'm going to send him monster/hero hunting with the Liberators, along with either the Obstinate or Relic blade  to give his runeblade a bit more punch.

List 2

Liberators x 5

Judicators x 5

Lord Celestant on Dracoth

Lord Relictor

Knight Heraldor

Retributors x 5

List 2 feels a bit light as rule of cool meant I had to get my Celestant on Dracoth in somewhere. To make up points, I've dropped the Knight Vex for the cheaper Knight Heraldor (also partly because his terrain blast rule is cool :D ). Have also lost my speed in the Prosecutors, so the Heraldor's run and charge will come in handy, probably on the Liberators to go smash stuff, with the Retributors protecting the Lord Relictor, with those guys going after objectives. Probably give the Celestant the Reckless trait to help with movement too, along with the Phoenix Stone to keep the Celestant alive so I don't have to worry about battleshock tests while he smashes stuff with the Liberators.

In the first list especially, I feel like some room should possibly be made to make the Liberators a 10 man unit, but wasn't sure if this would really be necessary at vanguard level, I'll definitely run bigger units at 2000 points though. Also lacking any kind of magic, a Battlemage will be bought at some point to rectify that, but I've got my hands full with SE stuff to buy and paint at the moment, so that'll happen a bit further down the line :)

I think at 1000 I'd go heraldor each time. I need to get one and get it painted, I'm feeling it much more than the Vex now.

It's just so obvious with the Vex down what you should do. Get a big beefy unit (retributors) into a squishy or crucial target/chokepoint.

I mean you can bluff and pull off interesting stuff but by and large it'll fall behind the retributor combo.

His once per battle ability is amazing but maybe you hold onto it too long and it has no impact, maybe he gets shot or himself assassinated. Either way he's a 200 point one trick pony.

In your first list if you swap him out with the heraldor and forget gryph hounds (aren't they 40 points each? I mean they're 3 wounds, 2 attacks with darting and warning cry! If they're 10 I better get me 100 of them) you've 120 points to spare.

That's another 5 liberators or a Knight Venator/prosecutors with stormcall javelins to add to the Judicator threat. Maybe take 2 knight heraldors! Double the running charges.

Tbh when I think of Stormcast lists right now I want to ally them as they've no allegiance bonuses for SE faction and they've no wizards.

I always want a battlemage.

Here's a little 1000 point force I'm thinking about buying and painting.

Lord Castellant and Gryph Hound

Lord Relictor

Knight Heraldor

Battlemage (Jade most likely)

Judicators x 5

Liberators x 5

Fulminators x 2 (maaybe concussors but thats 20 over)

Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins x 3

It's mostly to bulk up my existing stormcast. 4 of these units I don't have yet!

Whoops, you're spot on with the Gryph Hounds, quickly skimmed that part to find where I could plonk 40 points, now that I'm a bit more awake 40 for 4 would be ridiculously cheap! I'll forget them for now, then, gives me time to find some proper models (or just buy Silver Tower :P ) instead of proxying which is a plus.

Completely get what you're saying about the Vex at 1000pts too, his ability would paint a massive target on his back and would be a bit of an obvious tactic for a small game. Having the spare 100 points (with taking a Heraldor in place) makes a Battlemage very tempting, but then I feel it might be a bit hero heavy. Another unit of Liberators will be tempting once I have them kitted out with warblades, too.

Anyhow, off to work now, so I'll revisit this later, but thanks for the advice!

Archived