DoK 2K army list: Shadow Patrol

Overread

This army list is built around two core concepts, that of running the Shadow Patrol and of including Gryph Hounds (fully admitting that this latter is purely a personal choice). I'd appreciate any thoughts, considerations and ideas that people have. 

Hagg Nar - my thinking is that (at least once the army is in round 3) of using the trait to maximise any attacks by getting to re-roll the misses; whilst the Devoted Disciples makes a safer bubble around the Slaughter Queen

Leaders:
1 Slaughter Queen general 100 - Devoted Disciples
1 Hag Queen 60
1 Bloodwrack Medusa 140

1 Sorceress (Darkling Covens ally) 100
1 Assassin (Shadowblades ally) 80 (deployed in one of the Lifetaker units)

Units:
20 Witch Aelves Bucklers 200
20 Witch Aelves Bucklers 200
20 Witch Aelves Pair of Knives 200

5 Doomfire Warlock 160
5 Doomfire Warlock 160
5 Khinerai Lifetakers 80 
5 Khinerai Lifetakers 80
5 Khinerai Heartrenders 80
5 Khinerai Heartrenders 80

6 Gryph-Hounds 140

Battalion
Shadow Patrol 130

Total 1990

Thoughts:

Well no room for any endless spells which is a shame, though hopefully being able to "bounce" Heartrenders in and out of the battlefield each turn with the shadow patrol ability should balance that out a little. I've also not made any choices of gear/spells at yet for the force. 

I could move 10 witch aelves from one group to another to give one group of 10 and another of 30 to increase the survivability of at least one unit. 

My hope with the Sorceress is to give me a further cheap mage, though it might be that with the Bloodwrack and Doomfire I could remove the Sorceress and Medusa and replace them with a Bloodwrack Shrine, which would also leave 30 points for an Endless Spell; or if one moves the witch aelves around (as outlined above) the unit of 10 could be made into sisters of slaughter instead of another group of witches. I could also make the Medusa Shrine the general and then play around with swapping some Witches for Bloodsisters.

A key weakness is that each of the units within the Patrol are running at their minimum number of units. Making them all rather vulnerable and fragile. For the Khinerai it means likely ganging them up on a single target or area and having them deploy in the same turn so that they can support each other and provide a powerful hit. The unit with the assassin could operate alone if going after a specific target since the assassin increases the damage output considerably (even more so if getting the D3 damage against a hero). Being as he's with the khinerai he's clearly in an offensive position so likely to appear the same turn they do, rather than hiding and being a counter-strike element (to my mind that capacity works better if hidden within one of a selection of Witch Aelves or other regular troops).

Ultimately the shadow patrol ability is the cornerstone of this working; if it fails to produce results then this same selection of unit could simply merge to provide half as many units, but with each one having twice the number of models. 

I've also not made choices on spells/hyms/equipment so that has to be taken into account as well - though as they are purely written choices it won't affect model purchasing. .

Some might wonder how a Temple of Khaine managed to tempt a pack of Divine Gryph Hounds to serving their interests above those of their Stormcast allies. Though of greater curiosity would be how the sisters of the temple were able to not just tempt the hounds, but also to teach and train them.

The Blood Hounds are renowed for not just leaping into battle with the same feral fever of combat of their sisters, but also for the bloody nature of how they fight. For these hounds will launch themselves at the chests of their opponents, seeking to spear their hearts upon the chest spikes that they wear into battle. Those 'lucky' enough to turn away or avoid this attack will find themselves torn at with beak and claw until they are pulled to the ground and killed. Their chests ripped open with messy, yet delicate claws a the hounds seek to expose the undamaged heart to the air. An offering to those sisters that fight alongside them. Indeed its considered a great honour in the Temple if one of the hounds plucks the bloody heart from its foe to deliver to one of the sisters in person. 

Those Stormcast that find themselves fighting alongside these changed hounds often speak of unease of the glassy stare that the hounds have; a stare akin to their sister allies in battle; when the blood if flowing and any experienced Stormcast knows to watch their Khanite allies as much as the enemy; least they find their bodies torn and impaled for their bloody hearts.

I would really try to get the Witch elves to 30 for the point discount. Alone making it 30-20-10 gives you 30 points. This means you have 40 points free for a endless spell of your choice.

Maybe you can play around with the battleline units to get it even more point efficient.

You dont have to declare where the assassin is. You reveal him when an enemy hero engages one of your units and let him have some fun ?

Ah I forgot about the full unit point discount, you're right that would leave more points for an endless spell. Or Or I could make the Bloodwrack the general and then take out the unit of 10 witches and go for 

30 Witches with bucklers 270

20 Witches with bucklers 200

5 Bloodsisters 140

That gives the same number of wounds, plus the rending and crystal touch from the sisters. It would also mean the protective bubble is on the shrine which has a larger base so that 7inch range would reach a bit further

And yep I don't have to declare it to my opponent, but its the most likely place I'll use it and where I expect to use it. That way I can almost put the assassin wherever I need it without having to risk the unit having to slog its way to the target. Esp since I have to write down where the assassin goes before the game, so I have to preplan it. 

Archived