About Modifiers and rerolls

Iradekhorne

Question

Hi!

The rules clearly say that rerrolls goes before the modifiers.

I have a question, what happens when we put skills worded like this: "reroll failed save rolls"

The new sequitors can do it, imagine a sequitor attacked by a rend -1 atack, and the sequitor scores a save roll of 4.

We have two possible ways:

1-We follow the rules. The reroll never happen cause the sequitor have save attribute of 4+, the reroll go before the modifier of rend, after that we apply the rend and the sequitor suffer one wound.

2-We follow the "failed" word on the sequitor skill, and just before suffer the wound the sequitor reroll this 4.

I think the correct is the first, but is more natural the second case...

2 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Iradekhorne said:

Hi!

The rules clearly say that rerrolls goes before the modifiers.

I have a question, what happens when we put skills worded like this: "reroll failed save rolls"

The new sequitors can do it, imagine a sequitor attacked by a rend -1 atack, and the sequitor scores a save roll of 4.

We have two possible ways:

1-We follow the rules. The reroll never happen cause the sequitor have save attribute of 4+, the reroll go before the modifier of rend, after that we apply the rend and the sequitor suffer one wound.

2-We follow the "failed" word on the sequitor skill, and just before suffer the wound the sequitor reroll this 4.

I think the correct is the first, but is more natural the second case...

This debate happened many times before the FAQ in, I think it was January.  

1 is how it happens.  And yes, it is slightly awkward.

A "failed save roll" -- before modifiers --  is one that does not satisfy the printed Save characteristic on the warscroll.

In the case of a Sequitor, you get to reroll 1s, 2s, and 3s, which fail based on the characteristic.

As an example, I attack with a weapon with -1 Rend. I score 5 successful wound rolls. You roll the following saves: 1, 2, 4, 5, 5. You check against your characteristic (4+) and reroll the 1 and 2, getting a 3 and a 6. Your existing dice now read: 3, 4, 5, 5, 6. We now apply my Rend on the save rolls: 2, 3, 4, 4, 5. Two attacks have succeeded.

These rules, as applied, make Rend supersede the rerolling (since rerolls always happen before modifiers, Rend can cause otherwise successful saves to fail).

Archived