I never played Warhammer Fantasy Battle: What all are the old WHGB Dark Elves Army now?

From what I can gather it seems to be Daughters of Khaine for some, Darkling Covens for other parts, the Scourge Privateers and then the Shadowblades??? 

Why did they split the one faction up into 5 different factions but some of which have literally 2 models and how would you even play with them now a days? Is it even possible or viable to run a Dark Elf Army? Do you get any Allegiance abilities or command traits aside from generic order? 

Hello and welcome to the Mortal Realms!

To give you a short run down, the old Dark Elves have been split into 5 factions: the Daughters of Khaine (former Witch Elves and Blood Cauldrons, now expanded into the blood crazy fanatics lead by Morathi), the Darkling Covens (enthralled followers of powerful sorcerer, home to most of the old dark elves infantry), Order Serpentis (elven knights + hydra and dragons), Scourge Privateers (seafarers, monster hunter, criminals, home of the corsairs and beast masters of old) and the Shadow Blades (Assassins). 

This split happened at the beginning of AoS. Most armies had grown too big during the lifetime of Warhammer Fantasy and lost their focus. Instead there are now many smaller but more thematic forces. If you ever wanted to field a whole army of fanatic followers of Khaine, you can do that now. 
Additionally, the old separation between High/Dark/Wood Elves is gone. The sundering and the elven civil war are now only long forgotten memories. Each faction has something unique now but you can easily field former High elves and Dark elves in one army. 

If you want to use your old Dark Elves collection you have three ways of doing that: download the currently available Warscrolls from the AoS App or the GW website and field them as a Grand Alliance Order army. Second, you can field your elven infantry as a Darkling Coven army (their unique army abilities, warlord traits and artifacts are in the current Generals Handbook) and use your ally points (up to 20%) to include units from the other factions. Or the third option is the download the Warhammer Legends Battletome: Dark Elves. This PDF has AoS rules for every former Dark Elves unit (including out-of-production) but they lack point costs. So you will have to talk to your enemy about the size of the game. 

4 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Hello and welcome to the Mortal Realms!

To give you a short run down, the old Dark Elves have been split into 5 factions: the Daughters of Khaine (former Witch Elves and Blood Cauldrons, now expanded into the blood crazy fanatics lead by Morathi), the Darkling Covens (enthralled followers of powerful sorcerer, home to most of the old dark elves infantry), Order Serpentis (elven knights + hydra and dragons), Scourge Privateers (seafarers, monster hunter, criminals, home of the corsairs and beast masters of old) and the Shadow Blades (Assassins). 

This split happened at the beginning of AoS. Most armies had grown too big during the lifetime of Warhammer Fantasy and lost their focus. Instead there are now many smaller but more thematic forces. If you ever wanted to field a whole army of fanatic followers of Khaine, you can do that now. 
Additionally, the old separation between High/Dark/Wood Elves is gone. The sundering and the elven civil war are now only long forgotten memories. Each faction has something unique now but you can easily field former High elves and Dark elves in one army. 

If you want to use your old Dark Elves collection you have three ways of doing that: download the currently available Warscrolls from the AoS App or the GW website and field them as a Grand Alliance Order army. Second, you can field your elven infantry as a Darkling Coven army (their unique army abilities, warlord traits and artifacts are in the current Generals Handbook) and use your ally points (up to 20%) to include units from the other factions. Or the third option is the download the Warhammer Legends Battletome: Dark Elves. This PDF has AoS rules for every former Dark Elves unit (including out-of-production) but they lack point costs. So you will have to talk to your enemy about the size of the game. 

Seems like the way to run it would be the Darkling Covens + Allies way right? I would want maybe 1 assassin, maybe wild riders, a fleetmaster and a unit of Black Ark Corsairs and the rest to be the main Dark Elf force. I was thinking of buying very slow and starting with Skirmish rules and eventually, later on, building up to a whole army if I liked how they played in Skirmish. 

Thanks for the break down! I hope they expand on each of these factions later on with more models added and battletomes to support each sub-faction of all the Elves :)

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Seems like the way to run it would be the Darkling Covens + Allies way right? I would want maybe 1 assassin, maybe wild riders, a fleetmaster and a unit of Black Ark Corsairs and the rest to be the main Dark Elf force. I was thinking of buying very slow and starting with Skirmish rules and eventually, later on, building up to a whole army if I liked how they played in Skirmish. 

Thanks for the break down! I hope they expand on each of these factions later on with more models added and battletomes to support each sub-faction of all the Elves :)

Exactly. A Darkling Coven army could look like this:

Allegiance: Darkling Covens

Leaders
Sorceress On Black Dragon (280)
- General
- Sword of Ghrond
- Trait: Sustained by Misery  
- Artefact: Incorporeal Retainer  
Black Ark Fleetmaster (40)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Black Guard (140)
10 x Darkshards (100)
20 x Dreadspears (200)
10 x Executioners (160)

Units
10 x Black Ark Corsairs (80)
- Vicious Blade & Repeater Handbow
- Allies

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 120 / 200
Wounds: 79

You have your Core Units (Dark Shards/Dread Spears) some elite units (Executioners/Black Guard) your Sorceress on Black Dragon and some allied corsairs. 

5 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Exactly. A Darkling Coven army could look like this:

Allegiance: Darkling Covens

Leaders
Sorceress On Black Dragon (280)
- General
- Sword of Ghrond
- Trait: Sustained by Misery  
- Artefact: Incorporeal Retainer  
Black Ark Fleetmaster (40)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Black Guard (140)
10 x Darkshards (100)
20 x Dreadspears (200)
10 x Executioners (160)

Units
10 x Black Ark Corsairs (80)
- Vicious Blade & Repeater Handbow
- Allies

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 120 / 200
Wounds: 79

You have your Core Units (Dark Shards/Dread Spears) some elite units (Executioners/Black Guard) your Sorceress on Black Dragon and some allied corsairs. 

That's exactly what I was thinking of running. Then at 2,000 points add 1 assassin and some of the horse guys but otherwise exactly the same list. 

Archived