New to AoS 2, what to get for Ironjawz

goreshde

I have been eyeing up the Orruk Ironjawz models for awhile now.  With the new edition it looked like a great time to buy some models.  Here is what I told my LGS to get me

Start Collecting! Ironjawz - 3 gore riders, war canter, 10 ardboys
Ironjawz Weirdnob Warband - 1 shaman, 5 ardboys, 5 brutes

What else do I need to get right away?  With the new edition is there a smart way to build the models AKA don't use weapon X also use weapon Y?

2 weirdnob warbands and 2 start collectings are a great place to start an ironjawz army.

It gives you 2 almost all the options you could want in order to decide how you enjoy IJ and which units you like.

After that a footboss, if you play smaller games, or a mawkrusha, for 2k, are great generals for your army and give you full access to the waaagh!.

For weapon options.

GG's should have the choppas, the extra range isn't worth a -1 to hit.

Ardboys should be a combination of big choppas and shields. Take the choppas on your command group and make as many drummers/banners/icons as you can. They should never have the shields.

Brutes are duel wield if at 5 or 10 and 2h at 10+ yes that means you get a choice at 10. Always take the klaw and smasha, the -2 rend is huge and any extra attacks from a waaagh! Give an attack for both weapons.

As many massive gorechoppas as you can get (1 per 5).

Build your first 2 units of brutes as units of 5 with DW + Klaw and Smasha. This gives you more flexibility. I would also recommend magnetising the weapons if you can but it's not crucial.

Generally you are prioritising rend over attacks. With the waaagh! We can get extra attacks easily and 4 attacks at -1 is way better than 5 with no rend.

Any other questions or clarification?

1 hour ago, goreshde said:

That is really helpful, thank you. What about books?  Do I just need the AoS 2 rule book?  

I'd recommend AoS2 core book and GHB (if you want to play matched play). The Ironjawz cards are nice aswell for learning if you don't want to print all the warscrolls off.

The Ironjawz Battletome is optional because the warscrolls are online but it does have the battalions in and a bunch of lore.

Lastly is malign sorcery which is completely optional but might be something to look at in the future.

Archived