Khaos's AoS painting blog

KhaosOP

I've taken the plunge and bought myself some Namarti Reavers to be the start of my Idoneth Deepkin army.

I've added my first stage photos, lighting wasn't the best for photos, that's something I need to work on.

I've got all the base colours and shades on except for the bow because my Ushabti bone has unfortunately dried out and the small detail on the cloak which i'll leave til last because I didn't want to catch it when layering the cloak.

C&C welcome, especially advice on the photo taking.

20180527_211956.jpg

20180527_212028.jpg

20180527_212043.jpg

Looking good! 

On the photography front:
1. by using a one piece of paper attaching it to the background and letting it gently flow beneath model you get a natural curve. If lighted well, the background disappears. That's why you see that with product photo's and also miniatures. Picture for a client as example. (this is the hardest to do with a white background by the way)

P1033183-1.jpg.537661e8bb8c7d9a4e8b25372327a1de.jpg

2. Get two lightsources. The best light for keeping the colors 'real' is natural light. So if you place your set up close to a window you have a least one good light source. The problem with a lights such as you used is you get hard shadows. If with using natural light you still have problem with shadows. either:
- hang a white sheet for the lamp as to diffuse the light
- get a piece of white paper (or something similar) and use it to create a soft lightsource form the other side to counter the shadows. 

3. Check out the GW thing here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/06/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/

4. If you have the money to spare you could also buy a lightbox, as it helps with all the points above.. https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Photography-Studio-Lighting-AGG349/dp/B005CX9S8A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1527593962&sr=8-5&keywords=light+box

Hope this helps

2 hours ago, AGPO said:

Great work and welcome to AOS! I take it from you already having a dried out pot of paint that you've played some other games before?

TBH I've only really dabbled with the game, I've always enjoyed the painting side so that's all I've really done for the last 18 years, haven't had anyone really to play with regularly but I've got my sister interested now so we intend to both learn the AoS new rules together.

12 hours ago, KhaosOP said:

Further progress has been made today,  just the final highlights and the base to do now. 

20180529_155249.jpg

20180529_155302.jpg

20180529_155321.jpg

Dude! First off, kudos to you for taking Kramer’s advice and getting us some photos the model deserves. Secondly, that model looks great! Can’t wait to see more photos as you get more models done.

any thoughts on basing? 

6 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Dude! First off, kudos to you for taking Kramer’s advice and getting us some photos the model deserves. Secondly, that model looks great! Can’t wait to see more photos as you get more models done.

Your welcome! And it does so much your work so much more credit. It's amazing how 'grimm' you made them look in comparison with the GW paint job. I love that! 

On the basing.. I always did grass to match the table we usually played on. With my slaanesh army I did a darker basing to match the backstory and let the colours pop a bit more... but now I started to build a table and terrain to match. haha. 

IMG_1444.jpg.15db685be3d4bc90e84f3fb9ab36a0a3.jpg

So my advice would be. Either match the table, backstory (maybe a misty, watery something?) or make a choice to compliment or contrast your color scheme. 

On 5/30/2018 at 10:51 AM, Kramer said:

Your welcome! And it does so much your work so much more credit. It's amazing how 'grimm' you made them look in comparison with the GW paint job. I love that! 

On the basing.. I always did grass to match the table we usually played on. With my slaanesh army I did a darker basing to match the backstory and let the colours pop a bit more... but now I started to build a table and terrain to match. haha. 

IMG_1444.jpg.15db685be3d4bc90e84f3fb9ab36a0a3.jpg

So my advice would be. Either match the table, backstory (maybe a misty, watery something?) or make a choice to compliment or contrast your color scheme. 

I always try to do something different from the GW box art to try make the army my own :) 

On 5/30/2018 at 4:32 AM, Lysandestolpe said:

any thoughts on basing? 

Tomorrow will see the completed pics up, and the base I'm going for snowy. I just have final highlights and base and that's it then so i'll definitely get it done tomorrow.

Seriously though, thanks all for the kind words.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I know I titled this a Deepkin painting blog but I think I'll have to rename it my AoS blog.

Today I bought myself the Soul Wars box set and have assembled this lovely lot....

My sister is going to be taking the Stormcast guys and building her own army so we can get into the game together

2018-06-30 21.09.12.jpg

2018-06-30 21.09.20.jpg

2018-06-30 21.09.24.jpg

2018-06-30 21.09.28.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've started painting my Banshee's today and wanted to go for something different from the box art so tried a purple colour.....there's more Ulthuan grey to go over this but I did a quick drybrush over the top to give myself an idea of how it'll look finished......I'm not so sure about it.

opinions are what I'm looking for please :) 

37250930_10156548761451719_8860613790455037952_n.jpg

37321340_10156548761426719_961834668691292160_n.jpg

Archived