Getting started with Slaanesh

Sume

Hello.

I been considering Age of Sigmar for a bit.  Still dont really know how to play it or start.  I am about done making and painting up a bunch of Slaanesh demons for 40k.  I wanted to be able to use them in AoS if I got the chance.

Where I am kinda at a loss is what do I need to start.  I am sure I need the Generals handbook.  Not sure where to find all the slaanesh datasheets.  Do got some that came with the boxes of demonettes, seekers and start collecting Slaanesh demons.   

Then finally, would I be good mixing in some slaves of darkness.  As I know Slaanesh demons in 40k are very glass cannon and I kinda figured the same here.

Thanks.

There is no Slaanesh battletome as yet so best place to get the most up to date warscrolls is from the Age of Sigmar App. You definitely need the latest Generals Handbook as that has the Slaanesh allegiance abilities which help make the army stronger. In fact this could be crucial in where you go from here as there are 3 different hosts within the Slaanesh allegiance to choose from being either based around speed (good for cavalry and chariots),  a strong general and bonus to large units of troops (favours a horde approach) and a unique build that gives you 3 generals (the Slaanesh command abilities are excellent so this is worth a look).

The good news is that Daemonettes are very effective and most Slaanesh lists will want a unit or 2 of them (im guessing thats what you are bringing over from 40K). Slaanesh Daemon Princes are also pretty good with one of the best combat abilities in the game. 

Slaves to Darkness units tie in very well with Slaanesh and the buffs/abilities available. Chaos warriors make an excellent anvil unit, something Slaanesh lacks, while chaos knights offer a more powerful and durable cavalry unit then the Slaanesh options, albeit not as fast and for more points. A chaos sorcerer lord never goes astray either.

I've just written up a list for an Invaders Host (3 x generals) which includes chaos knights;

Allegiance: Slaanesh

Leaders
Keeper Of Secrets (280)
- General
- Trait: Allure of Slaanesh 
- Artefact: Breathtaker 
Lord Of Slaanesh On Daemonic Mount (140)
- General
Chaos Lord Of Slaanesh (100)
- General
Daemon Prince Of Slaanesh (160)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff
- Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh

Battleline
20 x Daemonettes Of Slaanesh (200)
5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100)
- Claw spear & Shield
5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100)
- Claw spear & Shield

Units
5 x Seekers Of Slaanesh (120)
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives

Total: 2000 / 2000

Thank you.  I appreciate your reply.   That makes sense why I was only able to find the rules under the models from the GW store.  I did totally forget them mentioning about the app.  I am not familiar with some of the slaves to darkness stuff.  I take the hellstriders are the muscle looking guys on the steeds?

As far as what I can import or bring in from 40k.  I have 1 forge world keeper.  I use it as a keeper actually havent tried it out as the lord of war choice yet.  60 demonettes.  3 demon princes with swords and wings, 18 seekers, 1 seeker herald, 1 seeker chariot herald, 2 foot herald, 1 masque,  and 3 hellflayer chariots.  

I will have to get the book and look at this stuff.  I actually would like to use as much of the demons as possible.  That way I dont have a bunch of stuff that will set on a shelf that I use every two months or so.  

Thanks again.

No worries!

Hellstriders are the mortal cavalry of slaanesh (yes, the muscle dudes on steeds), as opposed to seekers who ride steeds of slaanesh. 

Keepers can dish out decent melee damage but are not very durable. There is a beefed up version being the Exalted Keeper of Secrets- probably the forgeworld model you already have. Its all round better than the regular keeper but costs more points as you would expect. 

The seeker and hellflayer chariots are pretty good too and the Masque can be really annoying for your opponent. 

Here is a legal 2000 point list based on what you are bringing over from 40K;

Allegiance: Slaanesh
Keeper Of Secrets (280)
- General
The Masque Of Slaanesh (80)
Herald Of Slaanesh on Seeker Chariot (100)
1 x Hellflayers Of Slaanesh (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000

That list looks really close to what I am starting to use in 40k.  I like it.  I saw three different hosts.  I think the speed one would work well.  I will have to try to find someone around my area that is willing to play and dont mind being with someone new to the rule set.  Expect I can really tell that AoS and 8th 40k plays very similar.  

I saw that Age of Sigmar 2e is right around the corner.  I will hold off and purchase that when it comes out.  Not sure what it will have just yet.  Maybe I waited for just the right time.  ☺️

I find slaanesh super fun, but it will lag behind newer battletomes and become uphill fighting. The exalted keeper is absolutely filthy with putting its command ability on itself. It will just run rampant against whatever you fight and with the artefact Breathtaker, your keeper gets to fight in safety as whatever gets targetted has to wait to the end to fight. For example, I charged a bunch of sneks from Daughters and took their breath away while 30 daemonettes and my keeper chewed them apart.

Oh very nice.   I wonder what goodies GW has in store.  Especially as the local GW store clerk told me to be checking the community page as he felt Slannesh was going to get a lot of love soon.  I can see him telling me that in an effort to buy more models or that he is free to drop that with that picture leak to. 

This was mostly a way to be able to use the same models over 3 different possibly 4 product lines.  Sometimes I get a chance to play KoW 2, and 9th age fan based.  So I figured I should learn AoS also.  That way I can get the most use of the demons.  If I was to jump full into AoS for something more fresh, I am sure I would return to something undead though.  The nighthaunt seemed intriguing.  

17 hours ago, carnith said:

I find slaanesh super fun, but it will lag behind newer battletomes and become uphill fighting. The exalted keeper is absolutely filthy with putting its command ability on itself. It will just run rampant against whatever you fight and with the artefact Breathtaker, your keeper gets to fight in safety as whatever gets targetted has to wait to the end to fight. For example, I charged a bunch of sneks from Daughters and took their breath away while 30 daemonettes and my keeper chewed them apart.

The exalted keeper is also excellent with hellish swiftness (the command trait that lets you pile in from 6" away). It means you can choose to pile in when nothing can target you, run and "charge", retreat and "charge", be immune to abilities that trigger on the charge, and do a 12" move so cheesy even Slaanesh would say it's too much. 

So from the wknd release it appears that Slaanesh is getting another allegiance ability in the form of depravity points which can be used to summon Slaanesh daemons without having to pay reinforcement points. That is absolutely huge! On top of that it appears the 3 hosts with their respective rules are all staying so Slaanesh just became even more interesting. It seems like the lists we discussed above will remain relevant so go fourth and deprave yourself!

That sounds interesting.  I do hope they bring in some new fiends and even new possible units.  I dislike the current fiend a lot.  Its actually useful in 40k but I cant get past the look of them. xd

21 hours ago, Sume said:

That sounds interesting.  I do hope they bring in some new fiends and even new possible units.  I dislike the current fiend a lot.  Its actually useful in 40k but I cant get past the look of them. xd

I reckon, if Slaanesh is getting a release, fiends will be redone like Nurgle's beast was redone. Hopefully they'll look a little less goofy than the beasts. 

Archived