How do skaven beat khorne?

CanHammer-darren

Played a little three round clash today. Won 2-0 first round against orks. 

Then got manhandled very readily by garreks reavers in the next two rounds. Big losses and tablings 

they are just about as fast. They hit harder. I feel like reavers are really a hard counter to skaven. First game I managed through card combos and got dice to kill both garrek and blooded saek in first two activations. But stilll lost. 

That game. He goes first. Charges garrek into my dangle bro. Wiffs.   My turn I confusion skritch and krkk and inspire both. Charge krkk into garrek and do 2 damage with coming combo in mind. He charges saek into dangle bro. Wiffs.  I charge skritch into garrek and kill him. My power phase I play great strength. Then Ready for Action and kill saek too.  

Thenproceed to lose the game lol. This tournament has shown me how much effect dice can have. It’s a huge factor. The best plans of mice and men as they say. 

37 minutes ago, CanHammer-darren said:

Just bad dice plus objective deck doesn’t work well when your opponent is as fast as you and hits harder

He whiffs with Garrek and Saek, loses both and you lost because "bad dice"? The irony is strong with this one.

Sorry I did not want to come across as mean.

What I was trying to point out is that, dice roll is the only variable outside of player control, so complaining / attributing losses to it is not helping in any way.

When I lose, it's usually about, in order of importance:

1) Deployment mistakes

2) Activation / decision mistake

3) Deck draw / deck building mistake

4) Uphill matchups (warband and deck)

5) Rolls (but if your game hinges on good rolls, go back on point 1 and 2 and revise...)

6) Inefficient use of ploys, clogged hand

So, back to analyzing Skaven vs Reavers.

1) You have same movement, hence you cant keep him off you, so you have to outdeploy him, keep your distances, and leave only the 2 dodge skaven and the shield skaven in alpha strike range, if at all.

2) Here it's about trying to accomplish your game plan as much as disrupting/denying the opponent's one, the latter being something most players totally neglect. True, you can't know what your opponent is going to run but warband choice + mulligans (if any) + their deployment will be a tell.

3) Here I can't tell what you're playing, but skaven can play both objective/board control/aggro. My recommendation is stick to one strategy with a minor variant, hybrid decks tend to be bad in my experience

4) I reckon here that Reavers can be a bad match up for Reavers. But you get to control the inspire timer by resurrecting rats, so keep Skritch safe, and try to ploy-inspire your minions asap.

5) Nothing you can do about it, except upgrades that give you reroll, additional dice, or simply putting yourself in a condition of win-win no matter the rolls (and Skaven is probably the easiest warband to do so, e.g. expendable, sacrificial pawn, aversion to death to move on objectives out of reach and then key upgrade)

6) This could be easily much higher up, but you get better with experience, and losing the fear of mulligan suboptimal hands! 4 upgrades? Mulligan no matter what. Third end phase card without 2 score immediately that you could easily do turn 1? Mulligan that!

Hope this helps!

I was playing an objective based deck. Both reaver players were playing pure offense. 

Yes I try to deploy my dangle bros up front and skritch and krkk adjacent for that first turnconfusion but I lost all 4 first roll offs and so got unfavourable board setup while they maximized their setup by minimizing distance.  With their speed almost impossible to out run them when boards are placed flat on short board style. Illusory fighter helped them take out dangle bros I had resurrected in their zones.  Lots of failed double dodge with acrobatic.   

stuff like that

1 hour ago, CanHammer-darren said:

I was playing an objective based deck. Both reaver players were playing pure offense. 

Yes I try to deploy my dangle bros up front and skritch and krkk adjacent for that first turnconfusion but I lost all 4 first roll offs and so got unfavourable board setup while they maximized their setup by minimizing distance.  With their speed almost impossible to out run them when boards are placed flat on short board style. Illusory fighter helped them take out dangle bros I had resurrected in their zones.  Lots of failed double dodge with acrobatic.   

stuff like that

You lose board roll, choose blocked hex board, then you'll have 3 objectives and you can play hide and seek.

Quick thinker, last chance, rebound, aversion to death will give you a nice chance to withstand, or even benefit, from an alpha strike, and the likelihood of having one of them in first hand is very high.

Archived