New to Game, looking for some helpful tips, thanks in advance

HerSunAndStars

4 minutes ago, lare2 said:

In a perfect world then, you're talking... 10 grave guard doing 84 damage at -1 rend.

in the cold harsh world of statistics, with messed up reroll (just hit ;-P )  the damage output is more like:

11,6...with 2,9 double damage  (with nagash on the board)

9,3...with 2,3 double damage

per activation, so there is a big possibility of retaliation from the opponent...

that is one of the problems, comparing them with a big block of skellis (20 wounds, with/-out hero, sword/Spears) or dire wolves (10/20 wounds for 120) and the expected Damage output and staying power....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Honk said:

PLEASE PROTECT YOUR GOD!!!

of course the Sun Tzus out there have all the tactical skillz and there are good reasons to play differently, but keep it simple stupid: defend Nagash at all costs, don’t do double turns, wreck their sh*t... (in that order)

So I’ll forget the battalion and take a necromancer and as many skellies as possible 

2 hours ago, HerSunAndStars said:

So I’ll forget the battalion and take a necromancer and as many skellies as possible 

Brilliantly, but I personally would go for a cairn wraith. 

Nobody is going to expect that...

protip: ally in 10 ghouls their 6“ movement will save the day

6 hours ago, HerSunAndStars said:

Do allies take a different set of points?

Well, depending on your max points you can have a certain amount (1/5) of allies in your army. They do not count towards battleline, but I think to your max hero capacity. For us (undead) tricky because of the new undead minion rule (allies don‘t get that). Was alright to ally in 40skellis and a wightking to your Soulblight army back in gh17, to get some bodies on the field, or good old necro to the flesh eater court, but now....

haven‘t bothered to check yet

17 minutes ago, Honk said:

Well, depending on your max points you can have a certain amount (1/5) of allies in your army. They do not count towards battleline, but I think to your max hero capacity. For us (undead) tricky because of the new undead minion rule (allies don‘t get that). Was alright to ally in 40skellis and a wightking to your Soulblight army back in gh17, to get some bodies on the field, or good old necro to the flesh eater court, but now....

haven‘t bothered to check yet

Have they released the 2018 generals handbook? Or do I use the 2017?

17 hours ago, Honk said:

gh17 still in play,

i think sometime in the summer (northern hemisphere ;-) ) gh18 is supposed to go online... maybe ?!june?!

there was a timeline somewhere, but not sure

Where do i go in it then to find the rule cause all i was seeing was unit lists, or is it in my battletome?

53 minutes ago, HerSunAndStars said:

Where do i go in it then to find the rule cause all i was seeing was unit lists, or is it in my battletome?

You sound like you're pretty new to this all, so my advice would be to start small, forget about the 2000 point list you're working towards for now, get what you have built (and painted?) and play some small games without battalions or other complications - what you already have should be enough for over 500 points.

See if you like it before sinking time and money into a long project - and buying/building/playing/playing in stages keeps motivation up. Some people do alright getting an army all at once but I find it daunting.

Legions of Nagash are a brand new army, some things already stand out as strong picks but no-one has totally figured out the 'best' competitive lists yet and the book has so many different ways/subfactions you can create an army for  (3 different legions + grand host + soulblight + others). I'm currently on 5/5 wins with a Neferata led Legions of Blood infantry heavy list at the moment which isn't a 'meta' popular army build, but it's early days and that will be adapted (and there will be many losses to come!) once people (and me) figure things out better.

All the core rules are free on the gw site and there are loads of relevant/useful painting and modelling guides on warhammertv's youtube page. There is a list building resource on the warhammer community site. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Mirbeau said:

You sound like you're pretty new to this all, so my advice would be to start small, forget about the 2000 point list you're working towards for now, get what you have built (and painted?) and play some small games without battalions or other complications - what you already have should be enough for over 500 points.

See if you like it before sinking time and money into a long project - and buying/building/playing/playing in stages keeps motivation up. Some people do alright getting an army all at once but I find it daunting.

Legions of Nagash are a brand new army, some things already stand out as strong picks but no-one has totally figured out the 'best' competitive lists yet and the book has so many different ways/subfactions you can create an army for  (3 different legions + grand host + soulblight + others). I'm currently on 5/5 wins with a Neferata led Legions of Blood infantry heavy list at the moment which isn't a 'meta' popular army build, but it's early days and that will be adapted (and there will be many losses to come!) once people (and me) figure things out better.

All the core rules are free on the gw site and there are loads of relevant/useful painting and modelling guides on warhammertv's youtube page. There is a list building resource on the warhammer community site. Good luck!

I am new but I really like table top games, I’m not going to get this list right away, but I want something made so if I chose to go farther I will already have something completed, I know it’s new and I’ve been putting all recommendations into a notebook to I can take it however I want, but everyone’s opinion contributes and I learn that much more

4 hours ago, HerSunAndStars said:

I am new but I really like table top games, I’m not going to get this list right away, but I want something made so if I chose to go farther I will already have something completed, I know it’s new and I’ve been putting all recommendations into a notebook to I can take it however I want, but everyone’s opinion contributes and I learn that much more

Important Disclaimer: all the bs about getting a cairn wraith as a general was sarcasm...

so if you want to start Legions of Nagash and are set on playing Big N himself:

start collecting ?skeleton horde? Will give you skellis and black knights with a mortarch (can be built modular with next to no effort) totally valid small warband...

then grab two boxes of morghast and two boxes of skellis with a necromancer

and then the mighty prestige Projekt Big N which you can built to your max skillz while fighting through the 80 skellis grind...

points and such you can find in the warscroll builder, rules and warscrolls in the AoS App

1 minute ago, Honk said:

Important Disclaimer: all the bs about getting a cairn wraith as a general was sarcasm...

so if you want to start Legions of Nagash and are set on playing Big N himself:

start collecting ?skeleton horde? Will give you skellis and black knights with a mortarch (can be built modular with next to no effort) totally valid small warband...

then grab two boxes of morghast and two boxes of skellis with a necromancer

and then the mighty prestige Projekt Big N which you can built to your max skillz while fighting through the 80 skellis grind...

points and such you can find in the warscroll builder, rules and warscrolls in the AoS App

Cairn wraith wasn’t for general, was for the filler unit after I had nagash, 4 morghasts, necro, and 40 skellies. 

Need to fulfill your battleline slots, not quite sure if you can trust the builder 100%. General speaking skellis, wolves and zombies are always battleline, so 2x5 fenrisian wolves look awesome and are painted in no time...

Haven't played with a death army yet, planning one for the near future, but did watch a 1000 point pick-up game recently Chaos vs Death. Chaos roster (can't remember it all or the artefacts) Blood secrator, blood stoker, Slaughter priest, 2x 10 blood reavers, 5x blood warriors, 5xWrath mongers. Death roster Wight king, Corpse Cart, Necromancer, 2x5Dire Wolves, 2x40 Skellies.

Death set up four gravesites so that he could place a skellie within 9" of two and then conga'd across the board. Wight king within 9" of skellie hiding in a terrain feature, necromancer next to WK. Gave himself 4xD3 rolls to regenerate skellies all game and generally threw 50+ dice for every combat phase with the skellies. At the end of game Death won, killed all but blood secrator and 10 reavers. Chaos killed WK and three Dire wolves.

Just take three units of 40 skellies and make sure you keep them close to lots of units that can regenerate them, plus some dire wolves to take objectives. Spread the skellies across the board  and tar pit your opponent with skellies he can't kill and you've won!

It's not what you take, it's how you play it.

1 hour ago, Phil D said:

Haven't played with a death army yet, planning one for the near future, but did watch a 1000 point pick-up game recently Chaos vs Death. Chaos roster (can't remember it all or the artefacts) Blood secrator, blood stoker, Slaughter priest, 2x 10 blood reavers, 5x blood warriors, 5xWrath mongers. Death roster Wight king, Corpse Cart, Necromancer, 2x5Dire Wolves, 2x40 Skellies.

Death set up four gravesites so that he could place a skellie within 9" of two and then conga'd across the board. Wight king within 9" of skellie hiding in a terrain feature, necromancer next to WK. Gave himself 4xD3 rolls to regenerate skellies all game and generally threw 50+ dice for every combat phase with the skellies. At the end of game Death won, killed all but blood secrator and 10 reavers. Chaos killed WK and three Dire wolves.

Just take three units of 40 skellies and make sure you keep them close to lots of units that can regenerate them, plus some dire wolves to take objectives. Spread the skellies across the board  and tar pit your opponent with skellies he can't kill and you've won!

It's not what you take, it's how you play it.

I like this idea

not quite sure about the wight king...has a decent command ability, but I´d rather take a vampire or a second necromancer (then even with 10 more skellis or 5 more dogs)...

but the epic victory proofes him right ;-P

Archived