Talk to me about Chaos Gargants?

Fireymonkeyboy

Hi all,

Deeply tempted by the 2 Gargant kit, have always liked the model.  Not sure if they're at least reasonably effective on the table, however.  Not looking for super competitive, just don't want a points sink, or the experience of my lord on Manticore, where I like the model, love the idea of him, but am always left with the feeling that something is wanting.

FMB

I have faced gargants several times and they are fairly good, especially against single wound infantry. Their bag ability is great for picking out unit leaders or banners that get too close. The headbutt and kick can be devastating if they hit. 

One has killed 6 out of 10 blood warriors in one round and would have done more if I were not getting 5 attacks per warrior when they died. One also soloed 30 gors with minimal damage taken. Though a gargant did not do so well against my stornfeinds. Overall gargants have done pretty well against me. 

For the points, I think they are decent.  Just 10 points fewer than a unit of Ironjawz Brutes, I think it's fairly costed in comparison to Ironjawz and other solidly mid-tier armies.

Their weakness is their 5+ Save, which is what makes them pretty good.  If your opponent doesn't  do anything about them, then they can tear through a unit of infantry with decent rolling.  And I agree, they are better at taking out large units of single-wound infantry or two-wound infantry.  Gargants are not elite hunters, but they can be effective against swarms or occasionally the other monster.

Archived