LoN Path to Glory - Mistake?!?

Freejack02

Have any Death players tried using the Path to Glory warband rules from the Legions of Nagash book and found it to be immensely overpowered? My group and I have been looking it over, and I think it must be a mistake - the starting power level is far beyond what any other force can have. In the official Path to Glory book, released in summer of 2017 I believe, a starting general of VLoZD can have 1 unit from the followers table - a very balanced approach compared to the tables of all other armies. Now, in LoN, the same VLoZD can have FOUR units of followers - and as far as I know they only got better from new allegiance/artefact/spell options. That vastly outclasses anyone else in the game! You can begin with a 1000 point force when others are normally 500-600 points. The Vampire Lord on foot option nets you SIX follower units, which no other general option in the game can get - not a lowly Black Ark Fleetmaster, or a Grot Shaman, nothing. And at 140 points the VL on foot is really no slouch!

We thought it was just an issue of GW not balancing the new battletomes to be consistent with the PtG book - as earlier tomes had the issue of being a bit overtuned as well. However the recent Nurgle tome is completely in line with expected power levels (like the other Chaos factions). We don't have a DoK book to check yet, but does anyone else have any sort of explanation that we're missing to account for the massive power spike?

Just now, Arentius said:

Yup the errata came out and the path to glory was not updated. I finish work in 2 hours I’ll check my book and see what (if anything) might be different for this :)

Strange, maybe there are some other limits!  Thanks yah I don’t have the book. 

3 minutes ago, Naflem said:

Strange, maybe there are some other limits!  Thanks yah I don’t have the book. 

I briefly read PoG and I think you only get a couple of models and not the minimum unit as shown on the warscroll which might be the power limiting factor.

but I’ll confirm :)

The only limiting unit factor I can see is with the Elite table - it states that your force cannot contain more than 1 of the 2 possible units (a Zombie Dragon and a Terrorgheist). So if you start with a VLoZD and choose to roll on that table (taking two of your four rolls) you would get the Terrorgheist by default.

I see no restrictions regarding normal unit followers, other than needing to stick with the proper allegiance of your champion. 

16 minutes ago, Naflem said:

Well one morgasti is less than a minumun unit, right?  Still not bad pointswise compared to what others have I don’t think tho.. 

True, but that's still 110 points worth - within the norm (and above many other options to be honest). 

Archived