Aelven factions - seeking advice

Trayanee

Hello,

I would appreciate some advice on aelven factions as I want to start one semi-legacy aelven army ie ex WHFB but not compendium. I have a few requirements:

1) Thematic - I would like to use at most two factions and order allegiance but one with allies would be better

2) ex. HE > ex. DE > ex.WE

3) Acceptable power level. Especially it should be capable of holding its own against various SCE lists evolving from starter boxes which you can meet at local tourneys.

4) Low model count If possible

At the moment I am considering Order Draconis - Dragonlord Host with allies like archmage and phoenixes. It ticks most of the boxes for me, but I am a little worried because it looks quite one-dimensional and there isn't much room to experiment further. Do you have other suggestions?

Go for the models you enjoy painting the most!

Actually the DE get some pretty awesome releases, but afterwards will be the high elven factions. So if you already say HE > DE then go for the HE you like. When you are done painting and after your first games it is very likely that there will be new releases for your army.

With a low model count you picked the wrong army. Stormcast are talking about a low modelcount. If you want them you can be sure to ally them to your high elves. Also the newest battletomes all got some battalion together with the stormcast.

Check out the winning lists of the LVO 2018

https://aosshorts.com/las-vegas-open-top-10-age-sigmar-lists/

Check out the list on 4th place from Olivier Gandourt. He took frost phoenixes which are super handy!

The aelfs suffered pretty badly in the changeover, especially High Aelfs who were splintered into multiple factions and lost almost all their good shooting options. Honestly, I'd suggest you wait for the Idoneth to come out before deciding if you really want to go for an older army. If you don't mind being an antihero, Dark Aelfs now have two good options in the form of Daughters of Khaine and Darkling Covens. (Darkling Coven are really nice now if your opponent lets you use the DoK's new shadow spell lore for your Darkling Coven sorceresses.)

But if you're really set on the legacy High Aelf route, keep in mind that none of them really have much benefit to sticking to a single allegiance, unless you want to fill your battleline with one of the 'battleline if' units. You can just go with the Order allegiance rules, put in some Reavers as your battleline, and then you can put whatever cool aelf stuff you like - dragons, phoenixes, archmagi, archmagi on dragons, even Executioners. A lot of the 'elite' infantary are very similar to each other in attack profile, so you can pick whicever one you think works best for you. I can't remember offhand if Phoenix Guard get the wound-igonring ability or not...if they do they're probably the best option out of them,  black guard, swordmasters or lion rangers. 

I'm in a similar position at the moment. I'm a newbie so I won't give you advice about gameplay but I'm putting together a pan-aelf army and I have to say I found the list-building process a lot more fun once I embraced the idea of making it Order allegiance. Abandoning a specific faction-allegiance opens up a lot more combinations, as well as giving you access to the compendium legacy units that lack faction keywords.

The best part is you only have to play/paint models you really like and in terms of having a low model count there are plenty of aelven monsters you can use, personally I'm going with a War Hydra, Twilight Sisters on Forest Dragon and Dreadlord/Sorceress on Black Dragon. Supposedly the deepkin are gonna have a bunch of sea monsters so maybe leave some space in your list for when they come out?

Thanks for suggestions. I really want to stick with old/not updated factions. At the moment I am almost decided to go for order allegiance list with multiple frosthearts, some cheap highborn chaff, repeater bolt throwers and maybe lord ordinator to support them.

Another option you could use is the Hallowheart city allegiance. It stacks on top of the Order allegiance, giving your wizards +1 to unbinding rolls and, once per turn, any unit in in your army can try to unbind a spell at -1.

It does limit you to Stormcast, Eldritch Council, Order Draconis, Phoenix Temple, Dispossessed, Fyreslayers, Arcane Collage and Free Peoples, but most of that you seem interested in playing anyway. You just lose out on the bolt throwers.

Archived