demons, the warp in Age of Sigmar

dasdom

How do chaos demons and the warp function in Age of Sigmar? It seems to me that Demons can stay indefinitly in the Mortal Realms, as opposed to the way they work in the old world or 40k. But they can still be summoned, so does the warp still exist? How does it work, is there any lore on it for the setting? Or does Khorne just literally sit outside the Mortal Realms on  the skull tower/throne and his demons simply teleport to the summoner?

As far as I can tell, the old dualistic cosmology has broken down in AoS. Rather than a clear division between a world/universe of objective reality and a subjective realm of thoughts and emotions, AoS has multiple planes/realms, each of which can be a battlefield between Order/reality/objectivity and Chaos/potentiality/subjectivity. Azyr and the four Chaos Realms are close to 100% aligned to / controlled by either Order or Chaos, but the others are all fluid, with different parts of each realm subject to differing degrees of objectivity/subjectivity.

Perhaps it's best to think of the worlds of AoS as rather fuzzy-edged islands of 'reality' floating in the ocean of the Warp. The four Chaos Realms are merely parts of the Warp given form by the will of the Ruinous Powers, more like patches of  coloured stain dripped into water than true islands, while Azyr is a fortress, walled off more securely than the other Mortal Realms from the rest of the Warp (rather like the moon Titan when Malcador sent it into the Warp to serve as a secret fortress-monastery for the Grey Knights in the 30/40K setting).

Magic and daemons can exist more easily in the Mortal Realms than in 40K or the Old World because the Realms are not completely separate from the Warp any more.

Remember that Chaos won last time and the Warp ate everything. AoS is what happens after that. AoS is the Warp getting indigestion, with all these chunks of objective reality floating in its subjective stomach. ;)

9 minutes ago, Shadowspite said:

Remember that Chaos won last time and the Warp ate everything. AoS is what happens after that. AoS is the Warp getting indigestion, with all these chunks of objective reality floating in its subjective stomach. ;)

Best way of putting it ever :-)

Sound like the Mortal Realms work a bit like a Demon World surrounded by the warp, but with Order/possibly the local wind of magic  contesting the chaotic influence...this is an idea I can work with.

32 minutes ago, dasdom said:

Best way of putting it ever :-)

Sound like the Mortal Realms work a bit like a Demon World surrounded by the warp, but with Order/possibly the local wind of magic  contesting the chaotic influence...this is an idea I can work with.

Right daemons can't exist in the mortal realms without magic/corruption/sacrifices like always this is shown in novels. The mortal realms are connected together the realm of chaos exists outside of that they are invaders they are not a part of reality hence daemons cannot maintain their corporeal form. It's why they still twist and corrupt the landscape once summoned. Think Yggdrasil, as you can see my cosmology map the realm of chaos is outside of the mortal realms. Now because magic is more prevalent in AOS this is the reason why you have more crazy landscapes and wizards are more the norm in the setting. 

PIWCXKI.jpg

Also a video guide on the mortal realms.

Archived