Is it dumb to start High Elves now?

Adeeb

Hey everyone,

I've been in the hobby for about a year now and I initially started with an Ironjawz army. I always liked orcs in other fantasy settings and they were a new AoS army so I jumped in. However, elves (particularly high elves) have also been a favorite of mine but I didn't want to start an elf army until a new AoS army was released for them. With the announcement of Daughters of Khaine and rumors that a shadow elf faction will follow up, I'm thinking "****** it", I'll just start a high elf army with the existing models. Probably a mixed order list with phoenixes, dragons, stormcast, etc. 

Do you think it's a dumb decision? Should I just continue to be patient until a Tyrion "light" aelf army is released? Or just go with the existing range. I keep talking myself in and out of the decision and don't know what to do!

I personally would wait.  We just don't know if the "light elves" will be an add on to the existing range like this Daughters of Khaine release or something totally new like KO.  However, that is just me.  If you really love the models go for it.  You can always pick up the new stuff later too.

I'm slowly painting Loremaster and have Phoenix Guard as my next project.  I'll mix my army with few other Order models that I fancy. I usually play AoS skirmish, Path of Glory and other lower format games.  Mechanically speaking, fulfilling the  battle line requirement is what's the most difficult for the moment as well as lacking more wide spectrum of spells to choose from.

You can choose to be patient, however we don't know when something for the highborn elves is coming. Whatever and whenever they do is rather fine with me, I'm certain that over time I'll be able to bend my army however I'll like. It'll just take some time to get there.

I doubt it's stupid I think that any new Aelven army will use existing models to some extent as those Elves kits are awesome and fairly new. As long as you will stick to new kits (Pheonix Guards, White Lions, Dragon Princes, Loremaster, Pheonixes, Lothern Sky Cutters, Chariots) I love for example Lother Sky Cutters models and I doubt that GW will just let those newer HE minis  die out

Also worth checking out is the fact that "High Elves" factions were totally absent from GH2017. 

I think kits I mentioned are safe to go 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm just going to go for it. I read the short story about a city in the realm of light named Lykerna being destroyed by a khorne army. Going to create a free city Lykerna force that reclaimed and rebuilt the city. Probably will have a mix of stormcast, aelfs and humans 

Archived