My 2018 Project: Slaanesh

TheTaintedSpud

My local FLGS has set up an escalating tournaments schedules, starting at 750 points and ending at 2000. So I've decided to start a new army for the new year. Slaanesh, with potential Slaves to Darkness and/or Warherds as allies. 

So far I've got the Star Collecting! Slaanesh box. With two more boxes of Daemonettes to get the first 30 out of the way.

From there, I've got two more options. Another SC box (do the Exalted chariot as two regular chariots) or nab a Demon Prince.

Other possible ideas:
Warherds Bloodfeast Gorgers. Big purple bulls of slaanesh maybe?
Bel'akor: gave my death army fits by neutering Nagash for a whole turn. And he killed Arkhan.
Slaves to Darkness: A big meaty anvil to go with my Deamony Hammer?

If you haven’t already got a Keeper of Secrets and are planning on running more daemons then I would get a Daemon prince and convert it into a keeper (Or just buy a keeper).   If you’re going with Slaanesh allegiance I would ally in a chaos sorcerer, to help the daemonettes survive, also hellstriders and seekers are good.  

I would echo @Dark Prince Chaos sorcerer is a great addition. Remember if you give him Slaanesh, you don't need to ally them. Your whole army will still have the slaanesh keyword. 

Personally I play mostly mortals with the daemons where needed. But yes a bigger unit of Chaos Warriors really helps me as a road block, same goes for knights. Something I only recently realised, hellstriders are both daemons and mortal so are easily buffed by all heroes. And in general are great fun with their minus 1 to hit banner. 

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

I would echo @Dark Prince Chaos sorcerer is a great addition. Remember if you give him Slaanesh, you don't need to ally them. Your whole army will still have the slaanesh keyword. 

Personally I play mostly mortals with the daemons where needed. But yes a bigger unit of Chaos Warriors really helps me as a road block, same goes for knights. Something I only recently realised, hellstriders are both daemons and mortal so are easily buffed by all heroes. And in general are great fun with their minus 1 to hit banner. 

As much as I like hellstriders, I'm sorry to say that there really aren't many buffs you can put on them, despite them having both the mortal and daemon keyword. Basically, it's the same set of buffs you can put on any mortal slaanesh unit, except you can replace the lord of slaanesh on daemonic mount with a keeper of secrets — but both do exactly the same thing, and they don't stack if you have both.

I used to play Slaanesh daemons until recently. I found that having large units of daemonettes was invaluable, and that Seekers can be great for a turn one alpha strike on exposed enemies. I lacked Hellstriders in my army and I definitely felt the loss. A minus 1 to hit bubble can really help the 5+ save daemons survive a bit longer. As for what to get next, I would say a Keeper of Secrets, like the other have said. I used a Daemon Prince in many battles and he always seemed to let me down by missing his attacks so often. I also used Bel'akor in my daemon list and his special ability is amazing, especially if you use it on a turn when your opponent goes first since it lasts all turn and not just a battle round. He is not super effective in combat but with a mystic shield and ignoring rend, and enfeeble foes combined with a hellstrider banner he can do pretty well. So, daemonettes for sure, and a keeper, and some hellstriders and you have a pretty fun, mobile army with sneaky tricks up their sleeves.

2 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

As much as I like hellstriders, I'm sorry to say that there really aren't many buffs you can put on them, despite them having both the mortal and daemon keyword. Basically, it's the same set of buffs you can put on any mortal slaanesh unit, except you can replace the lord of slaanesh on daemonic mount with a keeper of secrets — but both do exactly the same thing, and they don't stack if you have both.

Oh that's true, I don't have not enough to play 2k a lot (need to proxy things and don't really like to, but a mate of mine prefers 2k so yeah...) But if I want to use the 'Invaders' triple command abilities, I usually and up with 2 different command abilities spread over three lords. The reason is that because of the 12" minimum distance between them it limits my movements too much. So it's a lord on foot extra in the middle for the 6's to hit and double pile in on the sides. Although I did field him as a chaos lord on foot with the mark of slaanesh for the run and charge. Was also very useful in the early game but after turn 2 :S 

But that's all mortal stuff so not much help there. But for me hellstriders aren't to buff, they (indirectly) buff others. Keep them close to combats in small units of 5. At least that's my strategy. 

Archived