Freeguild Bret mix

DagW

So I have a bunch of old Brets. While I know they still have rules, I thought about mixing them up with empire and playing straight freeguild. Bret knight on griffon for general, men-at-arms as guard with halberd and shields etc. Crossbowmen with headswaps, would any of that actually be good? 
Let's say a great company with halberds+shields, greatswords with knight heads and crossbowmen, a couple of peg knights count as demigryph knights, a maiden as battlemage, paladins as freeguild captains etc. Do you think it can work? With a little bit of greenstuff, elbow grease and press molds for helmets.

Probably an overall more solid use of Brettonia than hoping compendium stay updated. Like you said, a lot of units cross over super easily.

As for units to aim for: Crossbowmen are great in big blocks of 30. Combine this with a regular General (not on Griffon) and his command ability and they pour out piles of efficient shots. Make sure the General has a standard for the War Banner. He also gets a free horse, which fits Brettonia's style as well as give him a good way to reposition.

Halberds are solid. They do some damage, but don't quite Hold the Line like Swordsman. Greatswords also put out the hurt. Combine all 3 into a Great Company with the Freeguild allegiance, support with a General with the Indomitable trait and you will have a devastating block that will put out damage AND stick around. Season with big Griffons ans Demigryphs to take objectives and such across the board and you are golden.

One thing to note: the Freeguild General on Griffon is HUGE. Pretty sure he is at least twice the size of the old Brettonian lord on Gryff. Some MAY see that as modeling for advantage, making him easier to hide and squeeze into combat. Just a heads up.

@MrZakalwe  I do prefer handguns, but the crossbows are actually the usual favorite. Double shots on stand still, better range, AND a chance to match the Handgun's rend make them a very solid choice, perhaps even better. Not an absolute improvement, but definitely a doable one.

4 hours ago, flamingwalnut said:

Probably an overall more solid use of Brettonia than hoping compendium stay updated. Like you said, a lot of units cross over super easily.

As for units to aim for: Crossbowmen are great in big blocks of 30. Combine this with a regular General (not on Griffon) and his command ability and they pour out piles of efficient shots. Make sure the General has a standard for the War Banner. He also gets a free horse, which fits Brettonia's style as well as give him a good way to reposition.

Halberds are solid. They do some damage, but don't quite Hold the Line like Swordsman. Greatswords also put out the hurt. Combine all 3 into a Great Company with the Freeguild allegiance, support with a General with the Indomitable trait and you will have a devastating block that will put out damage AND stick around. Season with big Griffons ans Demigryphs to take objectives and such across the board and you are golden.

One thing to note: the Freeguild General on Griffon is HUGE. Pretty sure he is at least twice the size of the old Brettonian lord on Gryff. Some MAY see that as modeling for advantage, making him easier to hide and squeeze into combat. Just a heads up.

@MrZakalwe  I do prefer handguns, but the crossbows are actually the usual favorite. Double shots on stand still, better range, AND a chance to match the Handgun's rend make them a very solid choice, perhaps even better. Not an absolute improvement, but definitely a doable one.

Thanks! 

This will be an easy mix in that I will mix in bret bits or minis to make the army - the griffon lord will be a beatstick with the demigryphs, while the flag guy will be general (paladin standard bearer on horse will be perfect)

Basically quick listbuilding would put it at:
General w/griffon 260
General w/ flag 100
Mage 100
Luminark 240
40 guards with halberd/shield - 280
30 crossbows - 300
20 greatswords - 300
6 demigryphs - 320
10 archers - 100
2000 on the dot.

Archers will be archers, crossbows will have bret bits, demis will be peg knights count-as, mage is a maiden, griffon lord will be a bit mix from knights and freeguild boss. Greatswords will have bret helm and serve their duty as foot knights. Guard will be men-at arms. 

Archived