2000 pts Nagash list- new player

Greg5555

Hi,

I am a new Death player (have played Chaos a little bit before this) and wanted to get peoples thoughts on this list.

I'm not too bothered about it being competitive, its mostly made of the models I own and like (using the Jute Gast models as the Morghasts).

Firstly is the list legal? I think that as the allegiance is Death, the 3 skeleton units should give me my battle line.

I'll be honest that I don't really understand how the summoning works with regards to points- would I be allowed to chose any of my units to hold in reserve and summon them in using Nagash? Or would I need to nominate the summoning pool before the game? Could this pool include my battle line units?

Finally is Nagash considered to be an overly powerful or "gamey" choice? I will mainly play friendly games and just like the model, which is a real centrepiece to the army. But I would feel a bit uncomfortable if no-one likes to play against him?

Cheers,
Greg

Allegiance: Death

Leaders

• Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
  • Necromancer (110)

Units

• 2 x Morghast Archai (220)
  • 5 x Black Knights (120)
  • 10 x Grave Guard (160) -Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
  • 10 x Skeleton Warriors (80) -Ancient Spear & Shield
  • 5 x Dire Wolves (60)
  • 5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 2/6 Battlelines: 9 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 115

Pretty cool list, and totally legal, but the thing about Nagash is that he kind of needs heroes. Since he has 9 spells he can cast but can only cast them each once per hero phase, having heroes for support is vital to make up his points. It makes for a tight list, especially once the Morghast start burning up points, but having a Vampire Lord or a Mortarch in there really boosts Nagash's effectiveness. 

As for summoning, what you do is set aside a number of reinforcement points before the game begins. During the game that ammout of points is how much you can use to summon. So if you wanted to summon a unit of morghast and 5 black knights you could use 340 points as reinforcement points. You dont have to summon certain units, you can summon any unit as long as you dont go over the reinforcement point value . 

For battleline you have to set them up at the start of the game. So, no summoning battleline units.

Skeleton blocks of 10 are ineffective, combine them into one large block, and just have nagash summon them on the field. Their movement 4 is not going to let you get them into the combats you want. But with summoning, drop them in front of your opponent and make him have to deal with it.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:40 PM, Greg5555 said:

Hi,

I am a new Death player (have played Chaos a little bit before this) and wanted to get peoples thoughts on this list.

I'm not too bothered about it being competitive, its mostly made of the models I own and like (using the Jute Gast models as the Morghasts).

Firstly is the list legal? I think that as the allegiance is Death, the 3 skeleton units should give me my battle line.

I'll be honest that I don't really understand how the summoning works with regards to points- would I be allowed to chose any of my units to hold in reserve and summon them in using Nagash? Or would I need to nominate the summoning pool before the game? Could this pool include my battle line units?

Finally is Nagash considered to be an overly powerful or "gamey" choice? I will mainly play friendly games and just like the model, which is a real centrepiece to the army. But I would feel a bit uncomfortable if no-one likes to play against him?

Cheers,
Greg

Allegiance: Death

Leaders

• Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
  • Necromancer (110)

Units

• 5 x Black Knights (120)
  • 10 x Grave Guard (160) -Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
  • 5 x Dire Wolves (60)
  • 5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 2/6 Battlelines: 9 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 115

Nagash at 2k can be tricky, you want points for summoning and you want to stack heroes to give him some good spells. Honestly I couldn't pull it off myself, I'd need at least 2.5k to do it. I'd want him to have access to most spells in GA: Death, especially things like Beguile which can make him a real unstoppable force.

For your list, the obvious suggestions would be to trim everything off. You only want to deploy your 3 minimum requirement battleline and your heroes. I'd go with either 3 x 5 Dire Wolves for the lowest possible points with the highest possible mobility, or if you know you're going to have an objective in your deployment zone you could go with 3 x 10 zombies and merge them in your first turn to camp the objective. Personally I prefer skeletons over zombies but as they can't merge and they're too slow to move away from an objective once camping it, for minimum points those would be the two options I recommend.

That's 980 points, with Nagash.

The remaining 1020 points need to be split between heroes (spells) and units. From what you've listed, straight away I would swap the Archai out for Harbingers if you were summoning them. I'd have points for them in my summoning pool. The Black Knights and GG can just be dropped, pretty trashy and there is way better options.

For heroes I would choose a mixture of:

Arkhan

Vampire Lord

Coven Throne

Necromancer

Neferata also has a good spell but if she's not your general she's definitely overcosted, especially in a 2k game. Mortis engine also becomes a lot more powerful the more you stack wizards.

For summoning pool options think about: tarpit options and offensive options. You'd want to buy and build AT LEAST spirirt hosts, 40+ skeletons, the morghasts, bat swarms, Mourngul, dire wolves.

Archived