Old Dog, New tricks

The Mitch

Hi Everyone. I've been playing with toy soldiers for over 40 years. Starting with D&D in the 70s, then mostly competitively starting with Historical, WRG 6th and 7th Edition, SYW, Fantasy, FoW and for the last ten years or so mostly 40K. I am really interested in the minis for AoS and am painting the start collecting Malignant box. The minis really are lovely.

The rules leave me a little cold. They do not seem to be any test of skill other than to roll dice. War is a mixture of skill and luck and I'm not feeling that I am anything other than a passive passenger at the moment. I may be missing something but I will find out as I play more.

Anyway. Glad to be here.

The Mitch

Welcome buddy!

The rules may seem simple, and well they are! The tactics and strategy for me comes in during a few places: 1.the Melee phase when deciding which unit you attack with (been as you alternate between every unit/charecter), 2. Movement (not as complex as 8th was with wheeling and such, but equally as tactical in judging distances and charges), 3. Looking for the sneaky unit combos and list planning (which will get even more complex with the introduction of the generals handbook next month).

Be great to see what you think after a few games, but in the meantime enjoy the vastly superior models the game has to offer modelling wise! :D

Archived