Different paint schemes in same army?

polarbear

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can encourage me that having differently schemed units of the same kind in the same army is a good idea. Or give your thoughts on it.

My instinct of course is to paint every Plague Monk the same way, but I've done about 40 of them, and I'd really like to paint some a different way. With the same basing styling similar tones, I feel like it shouldn't look too out of place, but I'm wondering your input.

Also, especially in AoS, I'm finding having two units painted the same way in the same combat is an absolute mess for tracking pile-ins and battleshock. So I want to avoid that.

Anyone have their armies with different paint schemes on their units, representing perhaps different ranks/regions they're from?

So a good way of doing it is using the same colours but flipping the scheme around so if you've done green robes with beige rags/straps do beige robes with green rags/straps.  It's a very good point you make about AoS the need to visually differentiate units.  Another way of doing it would be to paint different units the same but give them individual spot colours.

Being Skaven you could paint the fur differently on different units, but otherwise paint the clothing/armour the same.

For my horrors I am separating the units by the colour of their flames and tongues (blue one unit, green the next).

Another trick I saw was having something on the base. Bit of a sprue cut-off as a crystal and coloured differently.

For Pestilens, you could have the hoods a different colour. Or a unit that are albino rats (white fur, red eyes).

Archived