Help: with competitive Sylvaneth 2k list

Fire_933

Hi all!

I have been struggling to take on the fyreslayers or anything with 4++ and 4+ rerollable save. Can anyone suggest as how to deal with such a fast paced army when it has over 100 models with those saves.

I am aiming for a 2k list and well im getting smashed good and proper and really need some help on how to play sylvaneth. I have access to all models but just cant shift a huge blob like that and if i get close i get tabled.

So i normally take the following:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwych (80)
Branchwych (80)

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
20 x Dryads (200)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatbows

Scenery
Sylvaneth Wyldwood (40)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

Thanks!

I’m not too familiar with this type of constructed Sylvanth list, however; my quick observations is that your army doesn’t appear to have much combat punch. I suggest;

- Needs Durthu, possibly a Loremaster to maxsmise Durthu

- Mix up your Kurnoths with either of the combat weapons

18 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

I’m not too familiar with this type of constructed Sylvanth list, however; my quick observations is that your army doesn’t appear to have much combat punch. I suggest;

- Needs Durthu, possibly a Loremaster to maxsmise Durthu

- Mix up your Kurnoths with either of the combat weapons

Hi thanks for the reply,

Durthu is a lot of points for 400 points and  what do you mean by take a lore master can you elaborate on how the two function well? 

I will remove a unit of bows for scythe's for the hunters.

16 hours ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

You have a Sylvaneth allegiance army there so you don't have to pay any points for your Wyldwoods.hi thanks for the reply, well I know you get one set of trees for free and spent 40 points to receive another to help me move around. 

4 minutes ago, Fire_933 said:
16 hours ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

You have a Sylvaneth allegiance army there so you don't have to pay any points for your Wyldwoods.hi thanks for the reply, well I know you get one set of trees for free and spent 40 points to receive another to help me move around. 

Wyldwoods can't be bought separately as they don't have any Grand Alliance keywords and aren't considered units. The points cost is there to cover the instance of using a Tree Lord Ancient in a Grand Alliance: Order army. 

As long as you are pure Sylvaneth, which you are, you never have to pay points for Wyldwoods. You do need a way to get them onto the table, beyond your free one at start of game. Verdant Blessing is good for this, as is Acorn of Ages. The Ancients ability is too unreliable. 

The Loremaster has a spell that makes can make Durthu re roll all hits and wounds. However, you can only fit him in if you take the Gnarlroot wargrove (which will cost you 250 points in total). 

I'd keep two sets of bows, drop 1 Branchwych, 10 Dryads from the unit of 20, then make your 3 Scythes a 6. 

3 hours ago, Fire_933 said:

Hi thanks for the reply,

Durthu is a lot of points for 400 points and  what do you mean by take a lore master can you elaborate on how the two function well? 

I will remove a unit of bows for scythe's for the hunters.

Durthu & Loremaster combo can be brutal in combat. The Loremaster spell will let you reroll hits and wounds for a single model (Durthu). 

As previously pointed out, you would need to take a formation in order to take the Loremaster that fits outside of your allies.

It doesn’t immediately fit into your army list but it’s an option if you really want more combat punch  

I do like the Scythes over the swords on the Kurnthos. 

15 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

Durthu & Loremaster combo can be brutal in combat. The Loremaster spell will let you reroll hits and wounds for a single model (Durthu). 

As previously pointed out, you would need to take a formation in order to take the Loremaster that fits outside of your allies.

It doesn’t immediately fit into your army list but it’s an option if you really want more combat punch  

I do like the Scythes over the swords on the Kurnthos. 

What are opinions about durthu and loremaster in Gnarlroot,  the combo is obvious but it's not playing into gnarlroot  strengths. So wonder if it's worth it.

16 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

What are opinions about durthu and loremaster in Gnarlroot,  the combo is obvious but it's not playing into gnarlroot  strengths. So wonder if it's worth it.

Gnarlroots strengths are the increased spell casting of the TLA and Branchwych, access to Verdurous Harmony and making your army a one drop.

You already have to take a TLA and Branchwych for the battalion, and with 4 castings between them you can pretty much cover all the spells you're likely to cast in a turn. So in a way it plays to it's own strengths, which is why it's so popular.

The Durthu-Loremaster combo gives you some much needed combat punch, which is a nice way of broadening the reach of your list.

1 hour ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

Gnarlroots strengths are the increased spell casting of the TLA and Branchwych, access to Verdurous Harmony and making your army a one drop.

You already have to take a TLA and Branchwych for the battalion, and with 4 castings between them you can pretty much cover all the spells you're likely to cast in a turn. So in a way it plays to it's own strengths, which is why it's so popular.

The Durthu-Loremaster combo gives you some much needed combat punch, which is a nice way of broadening the reach of your list.

And you prefer durthu/loremaster above 2 units of melee hunters which would be the most used alternative in my opinion. 

PS I know why I didn't play this yet.. I really like drycha and it's hard to fit all that in 2K. 

Archived