Skryre acolytes advice needed

Mayple

Starting a mass (30) skryre acolyte project, and I've hit a wall on how to convert them into being. Bought two packs of the skaven blood bowl team with the intent of turning them into acolytes - but having attempted just that, I am unable to reach a satisfactory result, and will convert them into heavily armored stormvermin instead. 

So my next approach is using plague monk bodies, maybe replace the heads, green stuff some orbs on their belts, and give them a mechanical backpack. Going by the total war warhammer 2 visual of the acolytes.

Anyone know of any good backpacks to use? I'd like to keep this somewhat economical, so the more backpacks I can get from whichever box I need to buy, the better. 

I was thinking about this myself the other day, I was pondering a mix of Plague Monks  Arkanauts and maybe geenstealer cults. 

Less of the  Poisoned-Wind Globadiers from WFB and more of the mass of Aspiring Warlock Engineers. But I was only thinking of building 15 of them; I was also thinking of using parts from the Arkanauts for other conversions... the 'multi-barrelled aethermatic volley gun' would make a great part for  a Ratling Gun. 

As for your question for backpacks... Arkanauts work.. 40k Scion backpacks may work, Cadian Shock Troops flamer backback would be the best bit.. but you would have to find a bits seller to make it work I think. 

Mayple, as a suggestion I would try to take a look at the 40k AdMech backpacks too... As bits they are cheaper than the Arkanaut backpacks, have a "weird science" look, and you can easly sand the cog/skull symbol from them... actually, this is the route I'm taking on my "Arkanaut count as skaven". I used for them the skaven BB bodies too, but they have very dinamic poses which are somewhat difficult to convert, the Plague monks bodies would be a better fit for the acolytes.

Another suggestion for the acolytes weapons - I guess they are armed with blades, right? - would be again the admech... Try looking at the sycarian taser goads and transonic blades... Painted on a rusty scheme they would fit quite well. If you want rifles, the galvanic rifles and radium carbines may fit... The bitz I'm talking about are these (Hoard O'Bits is a reliable bits seller, I have bought from them countless of times):

MECHANICUS-PRIEST-SMALLDRUM.jpg.e0be7dcfdd34e30b8431a670e8b7e430.jpg

MECHANICUS-SICARIANS-SWORDS.jpg.7a01c37975043aa5328252a7f87e8f22.jpgMECHANICUS-SKITARI-BACKPACKS.jpg.fc070a59b40d5322c8ec4f1c1b955b83.jpgMECHANICUS-SKITARI-RIFLES.jpg.6bba433ef4891c766368cc4b630c5327.jpg

Actually, I have all those bits on my bits box, including the Plague monk bodies, I can try to mock up something to show you and you see if they fit your theme and ideas...

Cheers

AJ

MECHANICUS-SICARIANS-BACKPACK.jpg

3 hours ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

Mayple, as a suggestion I would try to take a look at the 40k AdMech backpacks too... As bits they are cheaper than the Arkanaut backpacks, have a "weird science" look, and you can easly sand the cog/skull symbol from them... actually, this is the route I'm taking on my "Arkanaut count as skaven". I used for them the skaven BB bodies too, but they have very dinamic poses which are somewhat difficult to convert, the Plague monks bodies would be a better fit for the acolytes.

Another suggestion for the acolytes weapons - I guess they are armed with blades, right? - would be again the admech... Try looking at the sycarian taser goads and transonic blades... Painted on a rusty scheme they would fit quite well. If you want rifles, the galvanic rifles and radium carbines may fit... The bitz I'm talking about are these (Hoard O'Bits is a reliable bits seller, I have bought from them countless of times):

MECHANICUS-PRIEST-SMALLDRUM.jpg.e0be7dcfdd34e30b8431a670e8b7e430.jpg

MECHANICUS-SICARIANS-SWORDS.jpg.7a01c37975043aa5328252a7f87e8f22.jpgMECHANICUS-SKITARI-BACKPACKS.jpg.fc070a59b40d5322c8ec4f1c1b955b83.jpgMECHANICUS-SKITARI-RIFLES.jpg.6bba433ef4891c766368cc4b630c5327.jpg

Actually, I have all those bits on my bits box, including the Plague monk bodies, I can try to mock up something to show you and you see if they fit your theme and ideas...

Cheers

AJ

MECHANICUS-SICARIANS-BACKPACK.jpg

Thanks man :) I have a box of Skitaari for this kind of use, so I can make use of this advice for sure. I also got ahold of two boxes of Arkanauts (only 10 models per box! Outrage!) So with the Skittarii backpacks, I have enough to equip 30 monks with backpacks.

If you have the opportunity to do a mock up, that'd be great actually. I haven't seen many people do the plague monk to acolyte conversion, so the more visual input, the better! :)

Got five of these together. Plague monks with plagueclaw engineer heads and kharadron arkanaut packs.

The orb on the back is part of the pack, while the orb on the side is a poison globe.

The greenstuff tube/wire was hell. I dread having to do 25 more attempts at it.

I think it works. The question is whether it will still work once I run out of gas mask heads and resort to simple armored/hooded heads.

IMG_20171120_233325.jpg

IMG_20171120_233303.jpg

IMG_20171120_233253.jpg

IMG_20171120_233307.jpg

I Like them! 

But a thought stuck me, why do you have to use globes? 

Maybe some other form of canster would work. (Thinking something crazy like a ork Stickbomb may look Scavenish) and then it may be easier to have some in a throwing action. 

And not sold on the pipes to the backpack, maybe if your doing 30+ of them invest in a Greenstuff mold? 

Archived