Does anyone play Deadwalkers?

Jgregs

I have been thinking about this 1000 point list and was hoping for some advice from more experienced zombie fans.

General = Vampire lord - 140

Hero = Necromancer - 110

Battle line = 40 zombies - 240

Battle line = 10 Dire wolves - 120

Zombie dragon - 300 

Corpse cart - 80

Total 1000

Should I break up the zombies into 2 x20 so I can get a 2nd banner or just keep them at 40? Also Am I correct in thinking that if i merge 2 x20 units that both have banners into one big 40 man unit i can only use one of the banners for regeneration?

What command trait and artifact do you suggest for this list?

I want to have the vamp on foot as my general so i can get his blood feast command trait. But a vamp on dragon would be the same cost so I'm not sure.

The list has good magic potential, hitting power with the dragon, numbers with the zombies and speed with the wolves.

oooh yeah Manfred would be good. I just don't have the model.

Do you think 40 zombies packs enough punch or do you really need to go 50-60?

My plan is to use the dire wolves to pin my opponents most dangerous unit in place then slam into it with the zombies after they get buffed by the necros dance spell and the vamp lords blood feast ability. that along with the corpse cart buff would make them pretty killy.

Keep in mind that battleshock will savage your numbers. You will lose zombies in large numbers and many more will run away. Would love to see zombies have a similar rule to pox walkers in 40k (Mindless), which means they don't even take a test. I mean, come on... who ever heard of zombies running away in fear??

58 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Keep in mind that battleshock will savage your numbers. You will lose zombies in large numbers and many more will run away. Would love to see zombies have a similar rule to pox walkers in 40k (Mindless), which means they don't even take a test. I mean, come on... who ever heard of zombies running away in fear??

I agree, but I think you also get a discount for max size units point values.

If the whole point is 100% focus on zombies, I think at 1000 points you drop the wolves for more zombies, as lare2 mentioned you're going to be losing a lot of zombies, 120 points of dire wolves isn't going to stop that, so you need max zombies to be able to sustain more losses. It's really tough to fit a Necro, a vampire and a WK to keep your zombies buffed up in small points if you still want points left over for a big threat to smash things with (Dragon).  The dragon just feels a bit out of place, it's definitely not bad by any means, but for the same points you could get a VLoAT or plenty of other options which synergise better with zombies, if someone feels like they can deal with your zombie unit they can focus fire the dragon or the necromancer, then you have to start using spells to protect the dragon and the zombies become exposed.

Something that would be worth trying is 2 units of 60 zombies, with hero support.  For example, my 1000 point army is either 10 or 11 models so I would be crying vs 120 zombies, I would have to throw my whole army at 1 single unit and hope I could break it before the other unit collapsed onto me. A lot of 1000 point armies I've seen are smaller model counts because people usually go minimum battleline then take some cool toys.

15 hours ago, xspire said:

If the whole point is 100% focus on zombies, I think at 1000 points you drop the wolves for more zombies, as lare2 mentioned you're going to be losing a lot of zombies, 120 points of dire wolves isn't going to stop that, so you need max zombies to be able to sustain more losses. It's really tough to fit a Necro, a vampire and a WK to keep your zombies buffed up in small points if you still want points left over for a big threat to smash things with (Dragon).  The dragon just feels a bit out of place, it's definitely not bad by any means, but for the same points you could get a VLoAT or plenty of other options which synergise better with zombies, if someone feels like they can deal with your zombie unit they can focus fire the dragon or the necromancer, then you have to start using spells to protect the dragon and the zombies become exposed.

Something that would be worth trying is 2 units of 60 zombies, with hero support.  For example, my 1000 point army is either 10 or 11 models so I would be crying vs 120 zombies, I would have to throw my whole army at 1 single unit and hope I could break it before the other unit collapsed onto me. A lot of 1000 point armies I've seen are smaller model counts because people usually go minimum battleline then take some cool toys.

I agree with you.  Ive never seen someone do a zombie hoard but ive heard of it. On smaller model count armys it would really suck. Example my VLoZD+2 Units of Blood Knights (11 models total) id be really upset vrs 100+ fodder models.)

I've heard a lot about the Zombie Pain Train, but never seen it actually done successfully in a competent BatRep or IRL. It looks great on paper, but it relies on a very fragile Wizard, you can't get the 5+ Deathless anymore and there's no Rend at all in there. 

I mean even at peak performance it's alright. You won't get 4 attacks per model because your opponent will get a swing between your first and second attack with the zombies, and enough concentrated attacks will push them into Battleshock where they'll really start to hurt.

Also the more casualties you take the worse they get. At 40 Zombies you're 11 failed 6+ Deathless rolls from a mediocre unit, and it only gets worse from there. The D6 regen offsets that slightly, but not much.

Okay so what are the best uses for zombies if you don't want to build and paint 120 of them to do a full dead walker army?

From what I've seen 3 units of 10 to fill battle line is an option.

Or 30 of them as allies for something like a flayer heavy flesh eater courts list.

On second take, I would do 

Vampire Lord

Necromancer

Corpse Cart and fill the rest out with Zombies if you really want to do this as all Dead Walkers.  I would take two max size units to fill battleline and if possible take extra to summon later to reinforce your unit since a new unit can merge with a existing one.

I could see this type of army wining on points from objectives like Moonclan does.   Keep in mind your going to have to base stack your units and pivot on pile-ins.(Both completly legal as stated by GW)

Archived