Rock Paper Shotgun reviews Silver Tower: "game of the year so far", "unmissable"

The Stronghold

Silver Tower got a pretty glowing review from Rab Florence on Rock Paper Shotgun:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/07/warhammer-quest-silver-tower-review/

A few quotes:

How can a game feel so clean, and so modern, while also feeling like the fantasy games we all played as children? It’s not an easy thing to do. The market is saturated with fantasy dungeoncrawls these days, and I have many of them on my own shelves. I’ve played them all, done it all. I’m a fan of the genre, and I feel like I can speak with some authority on what works and what doesn’t.

To me, as a sesssion-to-session dungeoncrawl adventure, Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower is pretty much the perfect game.

I think this is a significant game release – not only because of what I think it represents within the board gaming hobby (a definitive return to genuine, fully developed board gaming by Games Workshop), not only because of how beautiful this game is (any fan of the fantasy genre will find the design inside this box totally exhilarating), but also because of how excellent this release is. This is my game of the year so far, by a fair distance, and is a better game than the original Warhammer Quest, a game I adore. In fact, I’m comfortable saying, in these early stages, that this is likely to end up my favourite dungeoncrawl game of all time.

Everything has character. It’s a game with real heart.

Best way to sum it up on a PC gamer’s website? My favourite Elder Scrolls game is Morrowind. It’s the strangest one, the most outlandish one, and the one with the setting that allowed the game’s designers to really push the fantasy genre in different directions. Silver Tower is a breath of fresh air for the same reasons. You’re exploring a gorgeous world of weird, where you’ll find constant delight in how the heroes, the villains, and even the rooms themselves behave.

This is unmissable.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived