Moving Models of a Unit Already Engaged in Combat

Veillotron

Question

I should know this one, but I don't... So here goes:

As per the Rules: "Units starting the movement phase within 3" of an enemy unit can either remain stationary or retreat. If you choose to retreat, the unit must end its move more than 3" away from all enemy units. If a unit retreats, then it can’t shoot or charge later that turn (see below)."

So a unit engaged in combat can only remain stationary or retreat. What is the definition of stationary? Does that mean that all models can't move, or would that only apply to models of that unit that are already within 3" from enemy units?

Using an example. Say I have a unit of 20 models, set up in one long line. Only one model is engaged in combat (say the first one on the left). During my movement phase, would I be allowed to move any of the 19 remaining models closer to the enemy unit this unit is already engaged with? Or, once a unit is engaged, the only way for its models to move closer to the battle is to move 3" in the pile-in phase?

2 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Veillotron said:

I should know this one, but I don't... So here goes:

As per the Rules: "Units starting the movement phase within 3" of an enemy unit can either remain stationary or retreat. If you choose to retreat, the unit must end its move more than 3" away from all enemy units. If a unit retreats, then it can’t shoot or charge later that turn (see below)."

So a unit engaged in combat can only remain stationary or retreat. What is the definition of stationary? Does that mean that all models can't move, or would that only apply to models of that unit that are already within 3" from enemy units?

Using an example. Say I have a unit of 20 models, set up in one long line. Only one model is engaged in combat (say the first one on the left). During my movement phase, would I be allowed to move any of the 19 remaining models closer to the enemy unit this unit is already engaged with? Or, once a unit is engaged, the only way for its models to move closer to the battle is to move 3" in the pile-in phase?

The unit must remain stationary, which means all models in the unit.

If you move only a single model, then that's an attempt at a retreat.

So yes, once the unit is within 3" of an enemy unit and you don't want to retreat, pile-in's all you've got.

5 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

The unit must remain stationary, which means all models in the unit.

If you move only a single model, then that's an attempt at a retreat.

So yes, once the unit is within 3" of an enemy unit and you don't want to retreat, pile-in's all you've got.

Thank you for confirming!

Archived