Good tactics for Change host and questions

Deathawaits101

Yes, you can switch a unit while in close combat.

Some uses I've found:

1) swap Characters out of vulnerable positions (in close combat, in range of enemy ranged attacks) and replace them with horrors

2) swap out Horrors in close combat for fresh ones against units you want to continue tarpitting

3) swap damaging units (Characters, Flamers) with Horrors when you are ready to use them (I've been favoring starting a unit of 3 Exalted Flamers somewhere in my backline, and then swapping them into the Horror Line when I see an opportune time to attack).

Been playing Changehost for a bit. Here are some of the best tricks:

1. Putting Changeling near the bulk of your opponent's army, then swapping with 10 Pinks, with enough reinforcement points to pay for the resulting Blues and Brimstones when they get stomped in CC. This locks down that part of the opposing army for at least 1.5 turns, assuming no ranged weapons. 

2. Swapping two units with each other to just make a free move. You get to place the rest of the squad within 9" of the original swapped model, letting you string the rest of them 9" forward. This is a big first-turn move to jump on on some objectives.

3. Swapping the Lord of Change to get within spell range. He's got a simply devastating spell, but that 18" range can hurt in the hero phase. If swapping him closer puts him in danger, you can always move back to safety in the movement phase.

You'll notice there are absolutely no references to how close your units can end up to your opponent's models during this free swap, opening up all kinds of interesting possibilities.

Have fun playing the list. I think it's still one of the best battalions, absolutely worth that 160 points.

54 minutes ago, RoloMcFury said:

1. Putting Changeling near the bulk of your opponent's army, then swapping with 10 Pinks, with enough reinforcement points to pay for the resulting Blues and Brimstones when they get stomped in CC. This locks down that part of the opposing army for at least 1.5 turns, assuming no ranged weapons. 

2. Swapping two units with each other to just make a free move. You get to place the rest of the squad within 9" of the original swapped model, letting you string the rest of them 9" forward. This is a big first-turn move to jump on on some objectives.

3. Swapping the Lord of Change to get within spell range. He's got a simply devastating spell, but that 18" range can hurt in the hero phase. If swapping him closer puts him in danger, you can always move back to safety in the movement phase.

You'll notice there are absolutely no references to how close your units can end up to your opponent's models during this free swap, opening up all kinds of interesting possibilities.

Have fun playing the list. I think it's still one of the best battalions, absolutely worth that 160 points.

Thank you so much! That really helps!

I have a question about Changehost too, seems like a good place to ask. The rules say,

"To do so, take one model from each unit, and have them swap places on the battlefield. Then, remove all of the other models from the two units, and set them back up within 9" of the model from their unit that first swapped places."

When swapping the models and they have the same size base it seems fairly simple to do. But what if you're trying to swap a Lord of Change and a Bluehorror in the middle of a line of horrors with no room for him? Do you just put the Lord of Change as close as possible?

On 9/22/2017 at 8:23 PM, RoloMcFury said:

So when swaping the models I have to Congo line them for the 9 inches correct? 

On 9/24/2017 at 9:36 PM, Deathawaits101 said:

So when swaping the models I have to Congo line them for the 9 inches correct? 

Yes indeed. It usually ends up looking something like this, where the line is your deployment zone:

59c9b2270697a_HostSwap.png.faf6cbcfc662b9cc595a9358075a9c46.png

Obviously, you'll want to take casualties off the back first.

Archived