Brand new to AoS and starting Skaven - help!

Pr3mu5

Hi everyone,

So I'm not new to wargames but am new to Warhammer AoS and never played WHF. 

I have however looked longingly at Skaven models for years and have taken the plunge and managed to get a hold of the Skaven half of the Spire of Dawn set for a good price. Now I've built it all and added a couple of units I just really like the models for and am not too sure how legal a list it could make and/or what to add next. 

So I currently have

Queek

Warlock Engineer

2 Rat Ogres with master

40 clan rats

Warpfire thrower

Poison wind mortar

And have now added 20 Stormvermin

And 2 Doomwheels (simply because they look great)

So are all his units in one army legal or do I have to pick a clan and stick to it? And how exactly does the FOC (borrowing from my knowledge of 40k) work?

Secondly, what would be good next additions? Baring in mind though I'm not too fond of the Clan Pestilens look but all the other clans... Verminus, Skryre, Mouder especially are great aesthetically. I'm literally in a position now where I just want to buy everything and in need of a little guidance.

Your help would be much appreciated.

You have a good start, more Clan Rats and Stormvermin would be good. Doomwheels look awesome, their performance is lackluster unless used as distraction or chaff. Stormfiends are great, so are warpfire throwers.

on my phone so not a complete list by any means. Search my Skaven posts :)

Eshin stuff is good, Verminlord is a must , jezzails are useful, warp lightning cannon is great. Some of the old compendium characters combo well like Tretch (stormvermin) and Throt (stormfiends and rat ogres) are good if you can find them on ebay or convert them. I get the feeling Skaven are going to be a lot better now that we can use allies.

On 23.08.2017 at 3:48 AM, James McPherson said:

Eshin stuff is good, Verminlord is a must , jezzails are useful, warp lightning cannon is great. Some of the old compendium characters combo well like Tretch (stormvermin) and Throt (stormfiends and rat ogres) are good if you can find them on ebay or convert them. I get the feeling Skaven are going to be a lot better now that we can use allies.

Which Verminlord you refer to as a must;)?

3 hours ago, Rev said:

Which Verminlord you refer to as a must;)?

I wonder how it will change, but imo the 2 best are the deceiver and the warbringer. The warpseer is also good as he is so cheap and is a tank (if you dont throw the orb). But this may change in the new ghb2017 meta. 

I couldn't choose between warbringer or deceiver, so i bought 2 verminlords and built both haha. Woops. 

4 hours ago, Flood said:

I wonder how it will change, but imo the 2 best are the deceiver and the warbringer. The warpseer is also good as he is so cheap and is a tank (if you dont throw the orb). But this may change in the new ghb2017 meta. 

I couldn't choose between warbringer or deceiver, so i bought 2 verminlords and built both haha. Woops. 

I got Warpseer, and getting deceiver soon:) Warbringer sounds good too! Thank you for your comment, was rly curious!

15 hours ago, Rev said:

I got Warpseer, and getting deceiver soon:) Warbringer sounds good too! Thank you for your comment, was rly curious!

Ya, I really want a warpseer! But i just can't justify THREE verminlords lol. I guess i should learn to magnetise hehe. Just really dont want to drill into my toys lol. 

4 hours ago, Flood said:

Ya, I really want a warpseer! But i just can't justify THREE verminlords lol. I guess i should learn to magnetise hehe. Just really dont want to drill into my toys lol. 

Haha indeed! I don't even like to magnetise to be honest (2 thanquols here - one with braziers the other one with throwers, and 2 verminlords so far:))

My vision of skaven army is going to be something like thar

3x40 clan rats
1x screeming bell
3xwarpfire throwers (in the middle of every clan units so they can be only shooted)

Rest u can build like u want i prefer mortars,catapults,verminlord,

Or packmaster close to the clan and eng to make some magic dmg

Im at sea so i cant write points :( need to w8 for my gh2017 till middle of september :((

Wysłane z mojego SM-G928F przy użyciu Tapatalka

I was also thinking about brass orb for artifact and becouse u cant put clan rats as battleline in skryre and u need just to play grand alliance chaos i would try to take kairos and then u have on ur screeming bell 100% auto kill enemy hero or monster in 8 inches for once a game

Wysłane z mojego SM-G928F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Archived