1k Seraphon C&C welcome

Centuryslayer

Bought a bunch of Seraphon from a friend and ordered a Slann to celebrate Ghb17.

This is my first list, with the blinking about rule in mind a  bit. Mind I've no idea on pts changes exactly.

Now I'm super new to this army so any comments and critique is welcome!

Slann starmaster

Skink priest or starpriest

20 saurus warriors

10 Saurus guard

Troglodon

The idea is to use the saurus as a wall and harass with the troglodon or the saurus guard while the slann and skink give support.

Nothing terribly exciting perhaps?

I got a Stegadon as well but I'm not sure I like it compared to let's say a Bastilodon for ranged or a carnosaur/troglodon for close combat. 

Hmmmm, let's see...

Those are... 920 points if I see it correctly, so you are aiming for 1000 I guess?
EDIT: LOL missed the 1k in the title....

I would probably play both a Starpriest and a priest then, to have both buffs.

Two battlelines is OK, and teleporting the Troglodon can work. You could try this:

- use the guards to shield your Slann

- change the ascendant constellation to "Hunter's steed" if you didn't roll it in the beginning
- buff the Troggy with Serpent Staff, Mystic Shield, Celestial Rites, and Starlight
- port the Troggy over to the enemy
- shoot an enemy unit with a low save near your target (hopefully hitting, giving you +3" on the charge)
- CHARGE! You have a good chance to make the charge, since you get +1" on charge, AND can re-roll it, and maybe even get the +3 from the spit.

I would probably not use the double teleport but the other command ability that improves your casting or the one granting the Slann the Skink spells. That way you can use "Curse of Fate" and add another +1 to one of the Troggy's rolls in each phase.

Could be a fun list.

It also works with a Stegadon I guess (although you then have to leave the Starpriest or Priest out and do that spell with the Slann).

That one has the advantage of being able to command itself to move 1d6 in the hero phase after porting (I am relatively sure that's allowed), and it does tons of damage when charging and undamaged.

Holy pancakes, you can really put a lot of buffs on it before it goes blinking :0

Also I hadn't noticed the stegadon having the skink keyword, that would totally work. But Harassing with a troglodon the "flamers" would probably be the way to go. (Distractodon!). I will give that a go too someday.

I found the new pts etc and I think a blob of 40 skinks  with blowpipes could be a nice target to blink in with a few buffs (like the reroll 1's to hit from the stegadon). Wish I could buff their to wound rolls too. 

But I only have 10 skinks right now :'D

The double blink trait you mentioned sounds intruiging to say the least. Makes it easier to harass by blinking one unit out of combat after it appeared and charged a flank last turn etc. .. Can't wait for ghb17 :0

Seraphon are a great synergy army, even now, and that is only going to be better with the GHB2017.

None of their units is too impressive on its own, compared to other armies, so when you just read single stats you often think "meh", but the synergies and buffs can make them good.

I'm starting to see that, going through the warscrolls :)

How do you find the knights? They seem a tad underwhelming but I guess you have to build around them a bit to make them shine?

If they had a bonus to charge I would love them for teleporting in and striking key targets with a few buffs.

Saurus Knights are glass cannons. When they hit they can do decent amounts of damage, but they die quickly. Also they are quite slow for cavalry, only 7" move. At least they can march if they have musicians, so if you run the move is good. Also I think they are the only cavalry unit that has lances with only 1" range instead of two. Boooo! That greatly reduces their usefulness in big groups.

Their banners are pretty nice because they reduce bravery and stack with other bravery-reducing abilities such as the Troglodon's -1.

Good thing is: They got cheaper which makes them better.

They profit greatly from several things:
- Firelance Starhost. When they charge and roll a six on wound they cause a mortal wound. That stacks with their lances ability on their warscroll, so if you roll a six with a lance you cause two mortal wounds. Not too shabby although I wish we had some buff giving us +1 on wound rolls...

- also Firelance Starhost: +3 on run and charge when near their bataillon leader.

- Slann's constellation "The Hunter's Steed" gives them another +1 on charge

- Skink Priest's Celestial Rites: reroll charges and saves

- Skink Starpriest's Serpent staff: cause double damage with their jaw attacks on a wound roll of 6+. That's actually a big one, because both the Rider and the Cold One have bite attacks! That way the Cold One can make more damage than its rider.

- Skink Starpriest's Summon Starlight spell: they get hit less often

- Mystic Shield: Obvious because better save. Also if you move into cover that's worth a lot.

- Skink Starseer's Curse of Fates gives +1 on a roll per phase. So that will help for a save or to get that 6+ for the double damage or mortal wound abilities.

- Scar-Veteran on Carno's command ability: a hit of 6+ makes you attack with the same weapon again.

- Scar-Veteran on Cold One's command ability: re-roll charges and hits of 1, also one attack more for the Cold Ones (so the mount bites three times, which is especially good if you have used Serpent Staff on the unit)

Fun fact: ALL of those (except the last two which are mutually exclusive except in a Bloodclaw Starhost) can theoretically be applied to one unit at the same time. Hussah!

Now imagine you buff such a unit, then teleport it behind enemy lines with that new allegiance ability, charging some hapless archers or so.... hmmmm delicious!

Yeah their 7" move and somewhat shoddy save is a let down. Didn't even see that their lances only had 1" range xD.

The Lords of space and time is quite a game changer for many of our units! I would really consider teleporting the knights into combat and then out next turn so they can charge again, perhaps somewhere else because of their glass cannon-y status. 

Unfortunately teleporting out and then charging again won't work, at least not in the same turn with the same unit, since teleporting out of melee combat will count as a retreat, preventing the charge.

...that being said: Nobody will prevent you from using a Slann as your general to get the double teleport, and then porting one Knight unit out and another Knight unit in, and swap them out against each other in a subsequent turn...

You are allowed to teleport out and still charge (new FAQ):

Q: If an ability or spell allows a model to be set up elsewhere on the battlefield, and the model is originally within 3" of an enemy, does it count as having retreated?

A: No, unless specifically stated otherwise.

btw: I would be totally in for a "Lets chat Seraphon" thread. I think there are a lot of things and lists to discuss -maybe this will also gather more likeminded people, since i feel Seras are quite underrepresented here. Made some lists myself but there is no real space for discussing these kind of things here atm? (not a fan of creating a thread for every small thing that comes to my mind)

Archived