GHB2017 - Dealing with change

With all the General's Handbook 2017 leaks hitting the scenes, I'm interested in what you are looking for when assessing the likely changes to tournament play.

We know that the core rules have not significantly changed, but all the inputs - scenarios, points, allegiance abilites/special rules, and now allies (army composition) - have.

With all the railing against higher points costs for battalions, an increased cost to 1 drop deployments, and the potential balancing between battletome and non-battletome factions, what do you look for and expect?  I'm expecting we will see more tournament variety, harder trade-offs regarding battalions, a substantial use of allies and an increased horde/anti-horde meta.  In effect, what are the overriding dynamics which will impact game-play and list-building decisions for GHB17 tournaments.

I'm really interested to see the Warhammer TV coverage this week and hope we get some insight into Games Workshop's thought process and intended direction behind the changes.

In the mean time, I've jotted some thoughts down more general about edition changes and what we know about GHB2017 so far: https://aosshorts.com/ghb2017-keep-calm-and-wait-for-the-full-picture/

I think the new battle plans (and if tournaments use only those or include the existing 6) will be the big thing that determines if we see varied army composition.  Certainly everyone is reeling from battalion increases but they are so key to allowing certain factions to be certain they got their desired turn sequence I think they will still be dominant for some factions.  So battle plans should be the focus over points obsession for those who want to be competitive. 

Im just looking forward to being able to confidently expand my dispossessed army, I was worried they were following the path of my Bretonnains.

Archived