Khorne unit sizes

VonManson

Hello all,

so I was having a discussion with my buddy about khorne and if it's better to go big or small with units. 

The conversation was was mainly based around blood reavers and a dark feast.

Is it worth taking three units of 20 or splitting it down to 6 units of ten? I am fairly new to the game and was arguing the merit of the smaller units.

It seems to give you more options for movement and objective grabbing. 

More charge options, so if one fails another might make it in (might die on their own though).

But most importantly more easier to kill units speeds up your blood tithe, bringing this awesome fun more into the game.

thoughts and or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

30 Bloodletters are a great size :P 

But in Blood Tithe terms you could go MSU but generally speaking a few of those units will work out more than good enough. With the recent cost drop of Skullcrushers I believe that running them or a unit of Wrathmongers alongside of the Bloodletters will work out well. 

Bloodreavers are neat aswell as a big squad though Bloodletters really have proven themselves at 300 points so at 270 they went from really good to possibly insanely good. 

Multiple small units (MSU) is usually good when using the units for board control or distractions.  You can create larger areas of denial, manipulate enemy movement a bit better, and as you pointed out - you don't have all your eggs in one basket - so you can make multiple charge attempts during a turn and so forth.  Further it can help build Bloodtithe quicker.

The area where MSU suffers is usually in offensive tactics.  Due to them not being one unit you may have to pick more carefully where you apply your buffing spells/abilities.  If you don't have many buffs to go around this can hurt your overall strength as a cohesive force.  Also, as @Killax points out in his post, some units (like Bloodletters) get better in larger units due to abilities on their warscrolls.  All units also gain +1 bravery for every 10 models in the unit.

There really isn't a clear winner because going MSU vs large units is just a matter of your overall force, your plan, play style, and what you're going up against.

MSU usually works best with an army that can play the attrition/control game.

Sadly, BoK is not very good at that without shooting, spells or big defensive bonuses. Khorne overall could be considered more an aggro or midrange army.

On top of that, the blood tithe table is a trap, it is more a "win-more" than comeback mechanic and will rarely be game deciding. (at least in my experience)

That being said, there might be a Khorne list out there that works well with MSU, maybe something that could summon 30 Bloodletters reliably?!

As the other poster mentioned, AoS might become a little bit "hordy" in the near future. maybe that's something for you?

One advantage of those who like to dive into MSU with Khorne now might find it in the Khorgorath, it too dropped in cost and is a guy that works as a single model unit also. Now again I don't think it's ****** required to do that but you can give it a try.

The Blood Tithe table in my opinion certainly is a win more mechanic so snowballing it is of essence and here too I believe Horde units work out better because if you do get the option to activate one unit again and they are massive in number it's likely you'll also see a return in Blood Tithe points.

As a result I think it's fair to say that Khorne's upcomming backbones will be Bloodreavers, Blood Warriors and Bloodletters. It's a bit of a shame that Skullreapers went up all the way to 180 instead of 160, as this small difference does make them still more expensive even if taken with a 'horde block discount' in mind...

Archived