How do you organize your PtG campaign?

Myzyrael

We're about to start a PtG campaign and are a bit confused unsure how we should organize it.

Additionally, I'd like to come up with some sort of background story that links the battles and the campaign within greater context.

So what we thought out up to now: 
We're running the campaign in iterations of two weeks, within each iteration, each player should play one match against one other player.
This leaves us enough time to buy, assemble and paint additions to our war bands if necessary.

And what I thought by myself, should leave enough time for the next part of the story.
But what could be a good story idea? What is the initial reason our forces battle? Should the grand alliances work as allies, striving for victory together? Do you use some sort of map as basis for your campaign? Shouldn't the battle plans resemble the narrative?

Please share with me your experiences for story-driven (PtG) campaigns as this unfortunately is my first campaign and I'd like to have a solid narrative core.

• 2 weeks later...

We played our Path to glory campaign in 3 weeks, playing only on Saturday's. We had 8 participants at out local store and played 4 games each everyday on average. It was fun, quick and very loose.

Some of us posted our Narrative for the battles on a private Facebook group. We all came up with a basic backstory and worked our individual story by the events that happened in the games. For example: I came up with a backstory for my Khorne Warband before getting to the first game day, posted that on the group page, got some funny feedback, read the other guys stuff. First Saturday I show up and get told who I'll be facing off against and what scenario we will be playing, win or loose move on to the next matchup. As the games progressed I developed the Narrative stitching all the events together. Once I got home I wrote an entry for each Battle and how my Warband went from one encounter to the next one. Some of the guys wrote their own version of those events from their point of view and we commented on each others stories (those that actually wrote anything). It was fun, great for gaming but didn't end up in a cohesive narrative that would work in a book or movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived