The Ritual Battleplan - any tips?

bottle

The Ritual 

Tonight I played the Ritual Battleplan against a great guy called Dan with a Death army.

I was the 'ritualist' and the story was my army (The Desperados) were trying to jump start a Realm Gate and get it working again to escape the Death horde hunting them down. Pretty cool game to play!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I did what I do best and gun-lined, although I did charge my Fyreslayers down a flank to have a bit of choppy action too (well they got ripped apart by a horde of zombies, so it didn't fare well for them!)

In the end I won the game by killing his general (Arkhan Mortarch) and his second in command (Vampire Lord) - but that was something I was actually hoping to get advice on from you guys.

We didn't point cost it, though I think we were about even. My army is 20 pools Clash, his was roughly Arkhan Mortarch, a vampire, 2 necromancers, 2 Wight Kings, 3 Cairn Wraiths, 1 banshee, 1 Corpse Cart, two Morghast (with the double handed weapon - ouch! ate through my Steamtank in two turns), 50+ Zombies, 30+ Skeletons and 20+ Grave (around 21 pools in hindsight).

I won essentially with my 2 cannons. I got the double turn at the start and took out Arkhan in Battle Round 2. I later took out the Vampire Lord with them in Battle Round 4. There were some bad tactical moves in that both were placed into the killing field in front of the realm gate and we talked about if the Vampire had hidden behind the Archway he could have continued to put pressure on my army (the amount of enemy wizards on the board meant my realm gate ritual wasn't getting completed any time soon, only got to '10' by the 4th Battle Round). My flanks were slowly dissolving under the weight of the big units and characters too.

I was wondering if anyone could share experience with the Battleplan here too? Taking away the mistakes of moving the generals into my cannon firing ranges - what good tactics can the disrupter employ in this scenario? And in your guys' experience, how much larger should the disrupters army be?

I look forward to hearing from you, and to my opponent Dan, I really enjoyed our game - so if you see this here, thanks for the battle! :-)

Played this one a few times, this battle plan is next to impossible to win if you are not the ritualist. I played with my brets against a Skaven army and was hacked to pieces. I have also played against Empire and nearly done it with the Green Knight

I think the trick to winning if you are not the Ritualist is the be able to teleport, summon or tunnel your General up near the ritualist site with a bodyguard and get round the back. Will try this tactic a bit more when I play it again.

Thanks for the comment, and I agree with how tough it is! I was thinking of other ways for the scenario to be more doable for the disrupter - I won because I had so much shooting I could pick off the enemy Generals as soon as they stepped into sight - perhaps if the chain of command was continuously passed on rather than only once? You don't want the game to drag out though, so it's a tough one.

I would like to play this again with myself as the disrupter but really fine tune my list to maximise it's strong points for this scenario. You need lots and lots of fast moving units to take out enemy shooting units and something incredibly tough to be general and second in command.

Well, the scenario itself says: "If one player has at least a third more models than their opponent, then they must be the disrupter"

I would say that the distrupter needs to have at least more models, but it also depend on the fire power of the ritualist. 

I played this scenario ruling a Khorne Bloodbound army, versus a wood elves one. I reached the 3rd turn, then both my general and second in command were killed by the elves' arrows. Just too many -> he had 30 glade guard and a unit of eternal guards (or what's the name of the spearmen), plus the glade lord with bow and 2  treelords; all he had to do was to focus fire on 2 miniatures and shield-wall with the treelords.

Being a melee disrupter vs a ranged ritualist drastically lower the chance to win the scenario for the disrupter :)

Archived