Mourngul save

KeX

Question

Hi

Mourngul have save 4+ against mortal wound now my question what about death rule that on 6+ or 5+ ignore wounds. Now if i got 6 mortal wounds i throw save 4+ do i have 6+/5+ save from death rule deathless minion

5 answers to this question

Hi
Mourngul have save 4+ against mortal wound now my question what about death rule that on 6+ or 5+ ignore wounds. Now if i got 6 mortal wounds i throw save 4+ do i have 6+/5+ save from death rule deathless minion

Yes you get both

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Really? The wording for the Deathless Minion is "Roll a dice for each wound or mortal wound inflicted on a Death unit from your army that is within 10" of your general..."

The wording for the Mournful's save is "...if they suffer a mortal wound, roll a D6. On a roll of 4+, the mortal wound is ignored."

Having had a look through the rules and wording for mortal wounds, I can't seem to see the difference between a unit having mortal wounds inflicted on them and suffering mortal wounds. Why then would a unit gain two saves from what is effectively the same thing? A unit who has a special armour save against shooting doesn't get both it's normal save and boosted save against shooting, just it's best one.

Can anyone explain with actual reference to the rules? Happen to be proven wrong!

Really? The wording for the Deathless Minion is "Roll a dice for each wound or mortal wound inflicted on a Death unit from your army that is within 10" of your general..."   The wording for the Mournful's save is "...if they suffer a mortal wound, roll a D6. On a roll of 4+, the mortal wound is ignored." Having had a look through the rules and wording for mortal wounds, I can't seem to see the difference between a unit having mortal wounds inflicted on them and suffering mortal wounds. Why then would a unit gain two saves from what is effectively the same thing? A unit who has a special armour save against shooting doesn't get both it's normal save and boosted save against shooting, just it's best one. Can anyone explain with actual reference to the rules? Happen to be proven wrong!  

You can't "save" mortal wounds so it's not a "save". And saves are taken before wounds. These abilities happen after the wound is inflicted. This exact question is actually addressed in the FAQ.

See "Warhammer The Age of Sigmar: The Rules" FAQ v1.1 p. 6

"Q: Two rules allow my model to ignore wounds or mortal wounds when it suffers them. Do I roll twice to avoid them as two rules allow it, or only once as both rules trigger the same action at the same time?

A: Roll twice, once for each ability"

As an aside, the Mourngul has a 3+ save.

That save can't be used against mortal wounds.

So, if I hit with an attack that causes a mortal wound. And that attack does 3 damage.

You would roll for each point of damage against the abilities. (I.e 3 times with each ability.) as opposed to a normal (non mortal wound) save where the one save roll would negate the attack that caused the 3 damage.

A similar question is on page 5 of the FAQ:

"Q: When a model/unit has a special saving throw arising from an ability that can be used whenever they suffer a wound or mortal wound, is it taken after normal saves but before damage is determined (i.e. between steps 3 and 4 of the attack sequence)?

A: No, such special saving throws are taken after damage is determined and as each individual wound is allocated to a model that has such a save (see ‘Inflicting Damage’ on the rules sheet). For example, a unit of Phoenix Guard is attacked by a Cannon. The Cannon successfully makes its hit and wound rolls, and the Anointed fail their save roll. The Cannon therefore inflicts D6 wounds in step 4 of the attack sequence. The roll is a 4, inflicting 4 wounds on the Phoenix Guard. The attack sequence is now over, and the wounds are set to be inflicted on the Phoenix Guard. However, the Phoenix Guard’s Witness to Destiny ability means they ignore a wound or mortal wound on a roll of 4 or more, so as each wound is allocated, a dice is rolled, and on a 4 or more it is ignored."

Archived