Horrors or flayers!?

Dracothjay

Hi guys, got a decision to make early FEC collecting. I have two start collecting boxes and have the choice to make 6 horrors or 3 horrors and 3 flayers. I really want 6 horrors, but I also feel flayers have their place in any FEC list.

Advice anyone!?

With a little bit of magnets, you can make both!  

Alternatively, I would say that if you're just starting off, make Horrors first because they're a great solid core for FEC.  Flayers are a fun and useful addition to your army (they are roughly the only way to get decent Rend in FEC).

I look at flayers as a shepherd unit for a GKoTG/ZD for extra punch in the combat phase. Sort of like an alpha strike whilst the horrors hold the line elsewhere. 

Anyone here use flayers and horrors in the same list? Who favours what?

I like the flayers. they are fast, they got rend and they do some mortal wounds.

Horrors are a bit more tankier, thanks to their heal. Last bot not least, Horrors are ~15% cheaper (in Points).

i calculated the average damage output depending on the save rolls of your target. If your target got a saveroll of 4+ (or worse) the Horrors will do more damage. Is the save roll 3+ (or better) the Flayers will do more damage.

Shooting with Flayers isn't that fun. Depending on your target, most of the time you need 6's to do a mortal wound. 

Once i played 9 Horrors against a buffed Lord-Celestanton Dracoth. Save on 2+, reroll 1's. Mortal Wound when rolled 1's and save afterwards. 

12 hours ago, Bademeister said:

Once i played 9 Horrors against a buffed Lord-Celestanton Dracoth. Save on 2+, reroll 1's. Mortal Wound when rolled 1's and save afterwards. 

I don't understand this? Do you mean with all his buffs and how durable he was the horrors still chewed him up?

Horrors.  Then more Horrors.  Units of 6-9 Horrors with overlapping character bubbles are horrifying.  3 characters who can regen Horrors per every 2 units will keep you intact,  make it very hard to remove the regen, and will hit like a ton of bricks.  Throw in a Ghoul King and you hit even harder.

Expensive?  Absolutely.  But also insanely effective.  There are things that can tank that level of output...but not many.

I prefer Flayers myself due to the damage output and mobility. Horrors do more damage overall but as has been stated anything tanky dosnt even care about them. Plus you need to run them in units of 6 at least with a Haunter/Varghulf reinforcing them and a Ghoul King. 

I like to run Abbatoir with Horrors for the added mortal wounds just by being close to them. 

i tried the Deadwatch battalion and i loved it. Yes, it is very expensive (160 Pts), but you got so much attacks with out counter attacks in you own herophase.

Very simple List. Make you Infernal Courtier your General, give him RotN and the Cursed book. He will stay longer. You can even give him mystic shild with your GK.

Make your other Courtier wear the Tomb Blade and the guy in your Battalion to heal your Flayers, when he kills something. And he will definitly kill something (5 Attacks, -1 Rend, 2 Damage).

You can decide to do Falyer units of 3 / 6 / 9 and buff them with Black Hunger for 9 more tasty attacks.

In every Herophase you first recover your troops with your courtiers and attack after that step. On average you gain 4 Flayers. Thats 12 Wounds.

Allegiance: Death

Heroes
Crypt Infernal Courtier (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Cursed Book
- Artefact: Tomb Blade
Abhorrant Ghoul King (100)

Battleline
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
- Flesh Eater Courts Battleline (Crypt Infernal Courtier General)
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)

Battalions
Deadwatch (160)

Total: 1500/2000

2 hours ago, Bademeister said:

i tried the Deadwatch battalion and i loved it. Yes, it is very expensive (160 Pts), but you got so much attacks with out counter attacks in you own herophase.

Very simple List. Make you Infernal Courtier your General, give him RotN and the Cursed book. He will stay longer. You can even give him mystic shild with your GK.

Make your other Courtier wear the Tomb Blade and the guy in your Battalion to heal your Flayers, when he kills something. And he will definitly kill something (5 Attacks, -1 Rend, 2 Damage).

You can decide to do Falyer units of 3 / 6 / 9 and buff them with Black Hunger for 9 more tasty attacks.

In every Herophase you first recover your troops with your courtiers and attack after that step. On average you gain 4 Flayers. Thats 12 Wounds.

Allegiance: Death

Heroes
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Cursed Book
- Artefact: Tomb Blade
Abhorrant Ghoul King (100)

Battleline
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)

Battalions
Deadwatch (160)

Total: 1500/2000

Its really good and competitive. Gets extra nasty if you manage to slip a Necromancer in as well(Requires zombies battleline) 

Ghoul Kings Black Hunger spell and Necromancers Vanhels Dance Macobre on a Unit of 9 Flayers who get too attack 3 times a turn is Devastating.

(126 attacks with mortal wounds on 6 from only 9 models so using good pileing in you can get them all off)

Archived