Named Characters and Daemonic Gifts

angelust

Question

If Archaon joins a Khorne allegiance, can he be assigned a Daemonic Gift (weapon or adornment), since he is Khorne and Daemon on his keywords? The rules state that the gift is considered and artifact in regards to how many you can include in your army, but doesn't seem to limit who it can be given to.

7 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, angelust said:

I can see your logic, but the wording in Bloodbound is that it counts as an artifact for how many you can include in an army, I.e. one plus one for every battalion right?

Even if you get 700 of these things, you can't give one to Archaeon, since he's a named character.

2 hours ago, rokapoke said:

Even if you get 700 of these things, you can't give one to Archaeon, since he's a named character.

I wasn't trying to say that # of artifacts allows or disallows named characters to take an artifact- I realize the GHB forbids named characters to receive warlord traits and artifacts regardless of whether you have 1 or 1000.

My contention is that Daemonic Gifts are not artifacts, but are counted as artifacts for the purpose of how many you can include in your army, and that they're not counted as artifacts generally, including limiting who may receive them.

I don't think the rules cited above really apply to Daemonic Gifts when read carefully, but I'm willing to concede that the spirit of the rule is that a named character shouldn't receive Daemonic Gifts- therefore I'll just play it straight as I only really play the game casually.

I do appreciate the thoughtful replies everyone. Thank you.

Edit: I can see the first paragraph of Daemonic Gift does assume the gift is an artefact, even though the last paragraph of the page states that it's an artifact of power concerning # of them in your army. Either way, I'll play it as not and expect my opponents to do the same.

On 23/06/2017 at 7:18 PM, angelust said:

I wasn't trying to say that # of artifacts allows or disallows named characters to take an artifact- I realize the GHB forbids named characters to receive warlord traits and artifacts regardless of whether you have 1 or 1000.

My contention is that Daemonic Gifts are not artifacts, but are counted as artifacts for the purpose of how many you can include in your army, and that they're not counted as artifacts generally, including limiting who may receive them.

I don't think the rules cited above really apply to Daemonic Gifts when read carefully, but I'm willing to concede that the spirit of the rule is that a named character shouldn't receive Daemonic Gifts- therefore I'll just play it straight as I only really play the game casually.

I do appreciate the thoughtful replies everyone. Thank you.

Edit: I can see the first paragraph of Daemonic Gift does assume the gift is an artefact, even though the last paragraph of the page states that it's an artifact of power concerning # of them in your army. Either way, I'll play it as not and expect my opponents to do the same.

I see what you mean about the wording, its not very consistent rules wise in a few places. Maybe its something they will stick in the faq at a later date. When they get around to 6 to hit, 6 or more to hit, a 6, is it a 6, could be a 6, modified as a 6, not modified as a 6 :/ lol

Archived