How can you know if an attack/ability require L.O.S?

Greasygeek

Question

This has come up before but I still do not get it, so any help will be appreciated.

How can I know if an attack require L.O.S if it isn't detailed for the attack/ability or spell?

Example: untill now we have played the Lord Celestant's Sigmarite Warcloak as not requiring L.O.S which makes it extremly powerfull specially in Skirmish but I have started to think that maybe we do it wrong. But if so how might we know.

7 answers to this question

If using an attack (melee or ranged), then you must use the rules for making an attack, which requires LOS.

From the 4-page rules under Picking Targets:

"First, you must pick the target units for the attacks. In order to attack an enemy unit, an enemy model from that unit must be in range of the attacking weapon (i.e. within the maximum distance, in inches, of the Range listed for the weapon making the attack), and visible to the attacker (if unsure, stoop down and get a look from behind the attacking model to see if the target is visible). For the purposes of determining visibility, an attacking model can see through other models in its unit."

When using an ability or spell it will state if you must have LOS in the rules for the ability or spell you are using.

Example: Arcane Bolt states: "...pick an enemy unit within 18" of the caster and which is visible to them"

Some ranged attacks do not require LOS, however this will be noted on the warscroll itself, usually as an ability.  An example of this can be found on the Skryre Acolytes warscroll with its ability 'Volley From The Back' which states that it may shoot at enemy units that are not visible to it.

In the specific example you have given of Sigmarite Warcloak -  It is an ability, and because it does not state that you must be able to see the target, you do NOT need LOS.  Keep in mind that though it states it happens in the Shooting Phase, this does not make it a shooting Attack and is simply stating when the ability itself is used during the game.  It is still just an ability and should be treated as such.

5 hours ago, Blood&skulls said:

Does that mean that if the LC ran he can't use the war cloak as it's used in the shooting phase. Or can he use it because it is an ability and doesn't have a profile?

It is not a shooting attack, it is an ability, so it is not subject to the rules of shooting.   It is only subject to the rules of the ability itself.

Yes, he may use it even if he ran that turn and he may use it even if he retreated that turn.

Archived