Mixed destruction

eldukero

Hello all,

im not a very competitive player, I like to play models that look cool to me! Having said that I wanted to know if a mix of stone horn/ thundertusk with gitmob archers and Fimir warriors would be either too bad to play or something that is abnoxious in game club nights? Any advice would be great, thanks!

I was thinking something like:

Huskard on stonehorn

2x huskard on thundertusk

100 grots with bows ( split probably 40,40,20)

9 fimir warriors

grot shaman on wolf for some casting

and thanks Solaris, would be really curious to see how that works out!

I'm going to run this:

Frostlord on Stonehorn, Battle Brew
Huskard on Thundertusk
Huskard on Thundertusk
Gitmob Shaman, wolf
Moonclan Shaman
9 Fimir Warriors, General, Bellowing Tyrant
20 Gitmob Grots, bows
20 Gitmob Grots, bows
20 Moonclan Grots, spears
Moonclan Grot Fanatic

My test games have been successful, so I'll report back on how it does and how to play it after the weekend.

So yeah, the list does quite ok. I only managed one minor victory the entire tournament, but I still felt it was ok.

First game I played against Stu from Scotland who ran a Destruction list with a Thundertusk, a Dreadmaw, 3 Spear Chukkas and a bunch of Ogors and Grots. We played Gifts from the Heavens, and both spread out across the entire board in anticipation. Both comets dropped on the same side, and I was immediately able to secure mine and contest his with my Stonehorn, while my Fimir ran across the entire board and tied down his other flank. Stu played well, but there was really not much he could do here - my army was just so much stronger than his. Major victory.

Second game was against Nick, who was an English mercenary playing for team Wales. Nick ran a Skink horde, with 25 Chameleons and 6 Ripperdactyls. His deep-strikea Chameleons killed one of my Tusks, and his Rippers killed a unit of Grots and put 4 wounds on my second Tusk. Mystic Shield was massive here. I won initiative turn two and wiped out his deep striking squad, securing the minor. I then spent the rest of the game trying to fight through layer after layer of slippery Skinks, but to no avail. My only minor win of the tournament.

Third game I went up against Donáls 100 Grots with a Stonehorn, Thundertusk and an Arachnarok. We played Border War and were pretty even on the right flank, while I was winning on the left. He then made some big mistakes, allowing me to run him over on both flanks. Major win.

Fourth game was against Nathan from team Ireland, who flew all the way from South Africa for the tournament. He used a 30-man Kunning Rukk with a Stonehorn, Thundertusk, 6 River Troggoths and some Grots and Savage Orruks. This game was half over in deployment, and fully over in his first hero phase when he gave his Arrow Boys extra arrows instead of putting Inspiring Presence on them. He couldn't shoot at anything juicy due to my deployment, and I could wipe his Archers with my Stonehorn, blast his Tusk off the board with mine, trap his Stonehorn with my Moonclan and wipe his Troggoths with my Fimir. We called the game when I won initiative turn 2, major win.

Last game I was up against Terry Pike from the Facehammer podcast, playing his Sayl the Faithless - Bloodletter bomb combo with some Warp-Lightning Cannons and Khorne Bloodbound. Again, the mission was Border War, and we played a really tight game with no big mistakes on either side. I went first, scored on both sides and set up long lines of Grot screens. Terry had to go all in on me and hope for the double. I won initiative, and wiped his Bloodletters with my Stonehorn. He had wiped the Grots on my left flank in turn one, and the right flank turned into a grind where my Fimir eventually came out on top with some fire support from my Tusks. Terry tried to use his right flank force to break through to my home objective, but I ended up wiping him out with my Beastclaw and the charged across the board to kill his remaining few models and take all 4 objectives. Major win.

So yeah, this list is pretty fierce. Against the Stormcast Mirrorshield build it's an automatic win, against the Sayl - Bloodletter bomb it has a very slight edge due to the Grot screens. Against the Stone-Rukk list it's a toss up, though I think I have the tools to beat it. Against the Mooclan I'm not sure. The Fanatics are gonna be a royal pain in the ******, but I think my raw damage output would let me come out on top eventually - the question then is how long it takes and who scores objectives in the meantime. Against Tzeentch I'm not so confident, but I'd have to try it for a few games to know. Against Sylvaneth it would struggle hard - the Kurnoth snipe the Tusks, the Wyldwoods block the Stonehorn and the 9 Fimir are not enough to pound through all his 2+ and 3+ saves with rerolls.

Hope that helps!

Was great to see you stomping thru peeps @Solaris and I accepted the admonishment for using the dirty tin men instead of my Ironjawz ;-) 

Its interesting in a team event because your list is one that some peeps (a stardrake mirrorshield cough) want to avoid like the plague which then can either drag someone's own strong list (Terry's sayl build) away from your team mates or force others to pair away from you (stardrake mirrorshield cough) 

though if if I had of realised it was you before the pairings were selected I'd have 100% taken the match up just to have gotten a game in with ya! 

5 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Was great to see you stomping thru peeps @Solaris and I accepted the admonishment for using the dirty tin men instead of my Ironjawz ;-) 

Its interesting in a team event because your list is one that some peeps (a stardrake mirrorshield cough) want to avoid like the plague which then can either drag someone's own strong list (Terry's sayl build) away from your team mates or force others to pair away from you (stardrake mirrorshield cough) 

though if if I had of realised it was you before the pairings were selected I'd have 100% taken the match up just to have gotten a game in with ya! 

Yeah man, I was disappointed that you escaped my challenge (also disappointed that I didn't get to whack a Stardrake Mirrorshield list cough)! I hereby demote you from Megaboss to Doom Diver until you get your act together.

Based on the results I wouldn't gauge Terry's list as one of the strongest at the event, though he mentioned that he was paired up against gunlines constantly. This could either indicate that people were afraid of his list and put their strongest builds against it, or that they saw it as a free win for shooty armies.

I think the team event is very interesting in general, since it adds new dimensions to list building. In our case, the preparation was really ******, and we ended up with 3 lists that could accomplish stuff, 1 list that we thought could accomplish stuff but didn't, and 4 mediocre lists. In the end, we focused our drafts on getting decent match ups for our strong builds, and sacrificing the rest. We ended up with 3 players getting 95/95/80 points and the remaining 5 averaging 30 points each. Not ideal. Next time we have to bring 8 legitimate threats, like you guys did. Looking at your lineup, there's not a single list that isn't scary as hell.

Out of curiosity, what was your (and your team's) take on my list? With only one practice game with the list before the event, I had no idea what to expect and which match-ups would be good or bad. I certainly did not expect to crush my way through all five games.

1 hour ago, Solaris said:

Yeah man, I was disappointed that you escaped my challenge (also disappointed that I didn't get to whack a Stardrake Mirrorshield list cough)! I hereby demote you from Megaboss to Doom Diver until you get your act together.

Based on the results I wouldn't gauge Terry's list as one of the strongest at the event, though he mentioned that he was paired up against gunlines constantly. This could either indicate that people were afraid of his list and put their strongest builds against it, or that they saw it as a free win for shooty armies.

I think the team event is very interesting in general, since it adds new dimensions to list building. In our case, the preparation was really ******, and we ended up with 3 lists that could accomplish stuff, 1 list that we thought could accomplish stuff but didn't, and 4 mediocre lists. In the end, we focused our drafts on getting decent match ups for our strong builds, and sacrificing the rest. We ended up with 3 players getting 95/95/80 points and the remaining 5 averaging 30 points each. Not ideal. Next time we have to bring 8 legitimate threats, like you guys did. Looking at your lineup, there's not a single list that isn't scary as hell.

Out of curiosity, what was your (and your team's) take on my list? With only one practice game with the list before the event, I had no idea what to expect and which match-ups would be good or bad. I certainly did not expect to crush my way through all five games.

Our match up prep was basically once the scenario dice was rolled "what's a good army for x scenario" then "okay which of these 2 lists do you want?" A lot more time was spent on creating the lists that were seen as manadatory i.e, Stardrake, skyfires, stone rukk, mooncows though Darren had to drop out so no thundertusks in the end, sayl bomb, gnarlroot and Nagash summoning. 

Byrons and Tom were later replacements as was I but I took over a list whereas they replaced ones so for tom it was a archaon chaos mix, and for Byron the mooncow list. 

Your list was seen as one of the stronger ones for Scandinavia because of the moocows for example the only two match ups I refused were Skyre and thundertusks as they can too quickly deal with the stardrake. The Tzeetch changehost and tzangor and skyfires lists were hard as hell to beat because of a similar mortal wound output from spells, but at least you have a chance. A double turn or even just two shots from a thundertusk and it's probably game over for the stardrake! 

i was wary of jonas Hammerstrike as well but he made a single mistake in deployment which meant i could out deploy him and so I could make him go first and he rolled to bring down prosecutors so had to deploy the Hammerstrike early. My stardrake survived on six wounds left and then the push back and double turn was gory and glorious well for me at least hehe. 

We also didn't realise that the rounds scoring was just points and uncapped so may take a different approach to lists next year....

p.s a summer break awaits and then my hope is to finnaly get back on the ironjawz train and work my way back up from Doomdiver to a Megaboss again?

2 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Our match up prep was basically once the scenario dice was rolled "what's a good army for x scenario" then "okay which of these 2 lists do you want?" A lot more time was spent on creating the lists that were seen as manadatory i.e, Stardrake, skyfires, stone rukk, mooncows though Darren had to drop out so no thundertusks in the end, sayl bomb, gnarlroot and Nagash summoning. 

Byrons and Tom were later replacements as was I but I took over a list whereas they replaced ones so for tom it was a archaon chaos mix, and for Byron the mooncow list. 

Your list was seen as one of the stronger ones for Scandinavia because of the moocows for example the only two match ups I refused were Skyre and thundertusks as they can too quickly deal with the stardrake. The Tzeetch changehost and tzangor and skyfires lists were hard as hell to beat because of a similar mortal wound output from spells, but at least you have a chance. A double turn or even just two shots from a thundertusk and it's probably game over for the stardrake! 

i was wary of jonas Hammerstrike as well but he made a single mistake in deployment which meant i could out deploy him and so I could make him go first and he rolled to bring down prosecutors so had to deploy the Hammerstrike early. My stardrake survived on six wounds left and then the push back and double turn was gory and glorious well for me at least hehe. 

We also didn't realise that the rounds scoring was just points and uncapped so may take a different approach to lists next year....

p.s a summer break awaits and then my hope is to finnaly get back on the ironjawz train and work my way back up from Doomdiver to a Megaboss again?

That's interesting. We discussed all opponent lists each round and decided which lists we wanted to put against them, then ended up never getting the matchups we wanted in the end. I guess the last round was alright though - fighting the Bloodletter bomb was my third choice after your Stardrake list and Nagash. I have a hard time seeing why Nagash would be considered a mandatory list though? I think a Settra-based list would be infinitely stronger, even after the point increase. As said by our Sylvaneth player after beating Tony: "I ignored Nagash, my Hunters can't kill him. I just focused on objectives, Nagash can only be in one place at a time." I have the same experience facing similar models - they are incredibly expensive and have a gargantuan footprint. Blocking their movement with chaff is not hard at all, and then they just have no impact on the game.

I'm gonna return to painting Ironjawz now as well, planning a Balewind Weirdfist with a Maw-krusha for a 1500 point friendly tournament in August. It's gonna be total rock'n'roll :D

I have a hard time seeing why Nagash would be considered a mandatory list though? I think a Settra-based list would be infinitely stronger, even after the point increase. As said by our Sylvaneth player after beating Tony: "I ignored Nagash, my Hunters can't kill him. I just focused on objectives, Nagash can only be in one place at a time." I have the same experience facing similar models - they are incredibly expensive and have a gargantuan footprint. Blocking their movement with chaff is not hard at all, and then they just have no impact on the game.

Yep - he's pretty dreadful for the cost other than vs DoT (8 unbinds with +3, healing off their cruddy bravery) and Sylvaneth (unbinds, possible one shots, healing off their cruddy bravery).

Archived