Looking for Some Advice on 2K Tournament List

AverageBoss

So, I have a 2K AoS tourney to attend tomorrow. Made the last second decision to break out my old VCs. I have a list made up, but was looking for advice on tweaks, and traits/artifacts.
Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (400) (General)
Abhorrant Ghoul King (100)
Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)
Varghulf Courtier (160)
Necromancer (120)

Battleline
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Spear + Shield

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Total: 2000/2000

That is what I am looking at taking, but besides whats in the list, I have access to:

1x Arkhan on Mortarch

2x Morghasts (can be either)

3x Mounted Vampire Lords

4x foot Vampires (1 each of the old Winged, Strigoi, Lahmian, and Blood Dragon)

5x Blood Knights

1x foot Necromancer

10x Black Knights

10x Dire Wolves

3x Spirit Hosts

5x Hex Wraiths

10x foot Wraiths

Also worth noting I could run the GKoZD as a VLoZD and the Flayers as Varghiests.

Not very familiar with FEC synergies, but the AKZD or VLoZD with Ruler of the Night to give your horde army a 5+death-ward save would be ideal I would think.

Your opponent is going to try and snipe your heroes, so your hordes will reach their targets, but eventually die or not hit hard without hero synergy.

Alternatively they're going to damage the hordes, and the 5+ death save is going to do some work to stem the bleeding until you regenerate ghouls/skeletons.

Not sure what job the Mortis Engine is doing in this army. One-time heal to keep the heroes alive?

Skeletons would be better as a block of 40, so they need significant pressure to drop their number down to 29/19 skeletons, otherwise they will destroy stuff with Danse Macabe. However skeletons are so slow opponent can ignore them.

If you're going FEC, consider GHOUL PATROL batallion: 

A Crypt Ghast Courtier and 3 units of Crypt Ghouls

Lets the entire formation basically outflank. In your first movement phase, you can set them up close to any table edge. You also get to add D6 Ghouls onto each of the units in each of your Hero Phases.

Here's a sample army list, quite different but at least you get an idea:

Leaders
- Artefact: Cursed Book
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Cursed Book
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (400)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Tomb Blade
Battleline
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
2 x Morghast Archai (240)
Units
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (100)
Total: 1960/2000

So Outflank behind them with the ghoul team. (Use skeleton models to represent the 10 ghouls you don't own if they will let you).

Your gameplan is to outlast opponent I guess. That's what death is best at. We don't hit hard and our saves are low except for ethereal hexwraiths.

I think the necromancer/skeleton gameplan falls apart when opponent just snipes the necromancer, so we replace with more early ghouls that immediately pressure opponent, and then Morghast Archai show up w/ Zombie Dragon to hit from the other side.

Crypt Flayers hang out with Vargulf Courtier and flank key targets.

Hexwraiths go sit on an objective and don't die for a while, or tie up key enemy rend-beatsticks.

Morghast/Zombie Dragon are the hard hitters, everything else is just chipping away at opponent while they regenerate.

Hope your heroes don't get sniped!

(Hexwraiths easily replaceable, leaving 200 points to play with, I like spirit hosts but they're so slow. List lacks wizards but I feel wizards would get sniped.)

Most likely wont be able to get away with any proxies to the scale of using skeletons as ghouls. If I want to use GP, the units will have to unfortunately be 20/10/10. I don't imagine that will work out too well. Skeletons are mostly there as a tarpit. The Necromancer can actually hit every unit in the list (except the ZD) with dance as they have the Mordant keyword. Skeletons are probably the thing I would cast that on the least. Mortis engine was mostly point filler + emergency healing. Might drop it and 10 skeletons for 5x Bloodknights.

Well, I ended up going with:
Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Nightmare
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Cursed Book
Necromancer (120)
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (400)
- Artefact: Cursed Book
Varghulf Courtier (160)

Battleline
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Units
5 x Blood Knights (260)

6 x Crypt Horrors (280)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (100)

Total: 1940/2000

Had something come up, so missed a round. But I wound up winning both games I played. First was against a Sylvaneth list complete with beetle. Second round was against a Disciples army with Archaon. Also, just realized I could have taken a Dire Wolf unit. But the list wound up working pretty well.

Thanks for the advice guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived