Visually interesting stormhosts?

Cèsar de Quart

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessin' 30k Terminator shoulderpads, either from Forgeworld or some third party company. There's also a great deal of cutting and polishing involved, probably, but I'm in love with these ones.

+++

As for the damaged Stormcasts, I like the bit in which they say that they cling to traditions old and new, which is a great starting point. One of my problems with the concept of the Stormcasts is that they were already heroes. There's no way to go from Simple Private Pete to Mega-Commander-Ultima Peter the Magnificent. Your simple Liberator had been Pete the Magnificent already.

But the twist is that their memories start failing the more reforgings they go through, and thus a commander must know that his most experienced warriors are precious. They may not come back, or if they do... will they be the same? All the experience and knowledge is lost if the soldier can't remember his past life.

This can be developed into nice themes; from a Stormhost which groups its soldiers into circles of reforging, with the once-reforged being rash and almost suicidal, and the five-times-reforged or more being very cautious and serving as the ultimate reserve forces, and finally a Death Company made of those who have been reforged (barely) but are slowly losing their minds.

Or maybe the Host values that a reforged stormcast is placed with those that knew him in his last life, so that he can better form tethers with the Host and with himself, keep his memories together. Maybe another Host has a very intense ritual of prayer, meditation, hunting rites or dedication necessary for regularity, this way a reforged stormcast will lapse back into his old relf the more he internalises the daily rituals he has been doing for decades.

Interesting stuff. I'm glad GW is giving us all this development in a way that is starting to feel organic.

2 hours ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

As for the damaged Stormcasts, I like the bit in which they say that they cling to traditions old and new, which is a great starting point. One of my problems with the concept of the Stormcasts is that they were already heroes. There's no way to go from Simple Private Pete to Mega-Commander-Ultima Peter the Magnificent. Your simple Liberator had been Pete the Magnificent already.

That's not true at all, Stormcasts are recruited from any individuals with a heroic will more than the ability, as long as they spent their last moments defying chaos then Sigmar would recruit them. There's been everything from kings, empresses, commanders to farmers, bakers and pit fighters.

Gardus himself (that silver Lord Castellent two pages back) was just a humble doctor who spent his last mortal moments trying to defend his sick patients from invading chaos warriors with nothing but a candle he grabbed in desperation.

Sigmar took them, empowered them, trained them and then sent his divine militia where they could strike chaos hardest and staunch their endless flow into the realms. From this we saw their inexperience ranging from terror and panic of the horrors of chaos to uncertainty in combat where their mental image of them being perfect invincible knights of Sigmar is shattered by their first taste of battle.

There were great heroes among them who lead them into the fray but most Stormcasts were heroes in that they defied chaos to their last breath rather than any strength or skill at arms.

The traditions they cling to is from their times as humble villagers or townsfolk from a world ripped away from them by chaos and forced them to become incarnations of vengeance whose memories from walking in cities or baking food is replaced more and more by their constant battling and combat so others won't suffer as they did.

Edit: That said I do like your other ideas revolving around their loss of humanity. A early short story even played on that with a Stormcast constantly coming back to face a chaos champion but getting slayed each time and so he came back more determined but more inhuman as well. (Kinda the perspective of a boss from Dark Souls. :D )

I personally always loved the idea of role-playing a Knight Questor with heavy memory loss which can prove hazardous at times (thus his comrades call him Azyrheim's Sir Alzheimer) or commanders being desperate and putting such golem-like reforged souls to stand  constant vigil in forgotten places and be a living obstacle against any who enter but their long gone commander.

Archived