GH2 Tomb Kings 2k Shooting List

themortalgod

So experimenting with GH2 Tomb Kings to see how they perform and the following is a list I came up with that I plan to test soon. Certainly won't be tournament powerful bt I'm hoping it can handle its own as an "all comers" list in casual meta.

1x Tomb Queen - 120pts

General, Master of the Black Arts, Ring of Immortality

1x Liche Priest - 120pts

1x Tomb Herald - 120pts

1x Casket of Souls - 120pts

30x Skeleton Archers - 300pts

20x Skeleton Legionnaires - 160pts

5x Skeleton Horsemen - 100pts

5x Skeleton Horsemen - 100pts

5x Skeleton Horse Archers  - 140pts

5x Skeleton Horse Archers  - 140pts

3x Skeleton Chariots - 140pts

3x Ushabti - 120pts

2x Tomb Swarm - 80pts

2x Tomb Swarm - 80pts

3x Carrion - 80pts

1x tomb Scorpion - 80pts

Total: 1980pts

So basically the concept is to use fast moving annoying units to move around distracting the enemy while the big unit of archers brings the rain. 

Tomb Swarms will be the first speed bumps that in a perfect world will tie up an enemy unit for a turn each, hopefully 1 base may be left with a wound or two after the turn so I can submerge them again in order to bring them back as backline objective threats.

Carrion and Scorpion are largely to get in the way and also threaten the backline

Casket of Souls I'm torn on, not sure if its super worth it but in my meta a lot of people run MSU so it can' sometimes dish out quite a few MWs. Toying withe dropping it for a scorpion or more Legionnaires, though that would leave me with 60pts I can't spend.  

Ushabti and Legionnaires will be the second line of defense behind the Swarms and ideally hop on objectives. 

Finally, opted for Master of the Black Arts on the Tomb Queen t give her something to do other than be a +1 to hit battery for my many archers.  Hopefully with Ring and her trusty Herald buddy, she will be able to survive, I will try to keep her out of LOS of most ranged threats though. 

thoughts? comments? advice?

I think your points distribution is a bit off. You're spending nearly half your points on distraction units. I'd keep maybe one or two of the "deepstrike" type units (carrion, swarms, scorpion) and cut the rest of the fast stuff down to one unit of 6 chariots and either a second unit of 6 chariots or 2 units of horsemen (I think the chariots are better, but if you like horsemen then go for it).

Also, the Casket of Souls is 160 points. It's a little weak, but it's a sweet model with great flavor. If you're not worried about max competitiveness then why not take it?

I think this is what I'd run:

Tomb Queen (120)

Liche Priest (120)

Herald (100)

Casket of Souls (160)

2x6 Chariots (560)

1 unit of Carrion/Swarms/Tomb Scorpion (whatever you prefer) (80)

3 Sepulchral Stalkers (140)

2x30 Skeleton Archers (600)

3 Ushabti (120)

That's 2000 on the nose.

You're fast attack component is now a lot more efficient and difficult for your opponent to get through. Taking out units of 6 chariots is a real chore, especially when supported by a herald. You've also got double the archers now, which should be more of a convincing threat.

The problem that I have with the original list is that I think it's based on some faulty assumptions about how the game will play out. It seems like you are imagining your opponent as being a slow, close combat focused opponent who is just going to come at you head on. Most opponents won't be like this, and the ones that are will be heavily armored and less vulnerable to all of your light-hitting troops (including the archers). What happens if your opponent is also fast but also hard hitting? What happens when they deep-strike a unit and get close to your archers so they can't double shoot? What if your opponent actually has a more convincing shooting game than you do?  If you are designing your list for all comers, then you will be facing down these scenarios.

oh damn, my bad about the casket, not sure why I had 120 on the brain.  At 160 that makes it a harder pill to swallow, I think relatively speaking the casket is a bit better now since so much stuff got nerfed in GH2 but its so situational and depends on your opponent both clumping up and you get lucky. I've had it do work before though. Particularly vs Blade of Khorne when my opponent has like 4 slaughterpriests and a Bloodsecrator all within a few inches of each other. ;) 

I'd love to be able to field a list like the above but I've only got 3 chariots and 30 archers in my collection (and no stalkers). And I've sort of vowed not to invest new "money" into TKs since I have a feeling they have maybe a year left of even being in matched play. I'm hoping GW has plans to bring TKs back since Death sorely needs more diversity but until we know exactly how/if that will happen heading to Ebay with like $1000 just doesn't seem worth it. ;) My previous TK list used to run big blocks of melee skeletons buffed by Settra supported by catapults but unfortunately, both feel so wretchedly nerfed now that I was hoping this would make a cool alternative with my existing collection. 

The way I see it is horsemen fill a very similar role to chariots, chariots are probably a bit better on paper, but horsemen are also pretty efficient for what you get. 

For me, only a single backline deep strike type unit never does anything productive, The odds of making a single 9" charge is just too low and I find if I miss that charge I'm in trouble on my opponent's turn but if I have multiple threats then they can't deal with them all. 

Archived