A Swifthawk Agents Flog (Forum Blog)

TheNotebookGM

Nice boon. I'd like to stay cheery, but the more I think on forces who also unlock traits and artifacts through allegiance, the more SHA seem like a bench warmer.  In SCE, Prosecutors, both winged Knights, plus additional modifier to already quite high save. That's really cool. I don't think you really need to add allies unless you want to play with elements such as Drakeseer, Gyrocopters or maybe cannons.

Playing as a complete elven force, the Eldritch council nicely augments the starter set. Shame Drakeseer can't count as SHA as it'd go well with High Warden's command ability. In smaller force a Loremaster or a unit of Swordmasters will provide much needed support to battle line formed out of Spireguard, however that's how the force plays already out of the box. Is the battalion still legal? That'd make things more interesting. ^_^

We've talked about Gyrocopters being nice addition to the SHA. Crazy, but that just happened. Irondrakes or ironbreakers with a gyrocopter/bomber seem like a good element to include.

Don't know enough about the new dwarfs to even start thinking on how to connect the dots.

Overall the new rule make me rethink how I want to build my list. I'm hoping the Phonicioum will also include SHA in the list as I've bought a Phoenix model not so long ago.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20.9.2017 at 9:12 PM, Tiger said:

Overall the new rule make me rethink how I want to build my list. I'm hoping the Phonicioum will also include SHA in the list as I've bought a Phoenix model not so long ago.

Sadly, only Tempest Eye and Hammerhal are available to Swifthawk Agents armies. You can look up which city gets which faction on the Webstore.

On another note, does anybody remember my rough Hawkrider sketch?

59b84683f2540_2017_09.12ShadowRulerAoS.png.b63ef7e1d0165f1ca7468413306cf83e.png.12f227b0fefe71a9d89f0e7f70a799e8.png

I just got a single Shadow Warrior from Ebay. Next on my list are two skycutters. So I can build both the Skyruler Catamaran and the Hawkrider at the same time, as I will use the spare Skycutter eagle as mount for the Shadow Warrior. The Warrior just needs a little cutting as I want to give him the elemental bow from the Sisters of the Watch set.

s-l1600.jpg.88c2efd5dfe1455c2a88bbfaac2646e6.jpg

So I finally took a minute to look at the Tenebrael Shard (probably not correct spelling) and he is A) awesome, and 2) if painted up could be fun to include in a Swifthawks force. Has a Peregrine Falcon feel to him. Make a cool named hero to have him standing on a hawk, both of them stooping in at the enemy, paint all his hooks to look like talons, etc.

Something like this would be really fun and since the Shard pulls you into GA:O you might as well go all out.

Allegiance: Order

High Warden

2 Tenebrael Shard

Runesmiter

Mistweaver Siah

2x5 Reavers 

1x30 Spire Guard

1x20 Swordmasters

1x20 Vulkite Beserkers 

This leaves you with enough points to get 10 more of either the Swordmasters or the Vulkites depending on what suits your fancy.... or a Skycutter. 

Here you can use the Shards and the Smiter to gain the rear flank and then charge in with the Reavers and the Warden wherever they are needed. Meanwhile, the Mistweaver and your Swordmasters can find somewhere comfy to hunker down and the spire guard can take the middle and provide cover fire.

On 25.9.2017 at 8:03 PM, TheNotebookGM said:

Tenebrael Shard

Mistweaver Siah

I just brought a Mistweaver for my Swifthawk Army too as I think her quick and tricky nature fits the feel of the Swifthawk armies. 
I just added a few bits to the kit and it fits right into the rest of my force. Im definitely interested in seeing more Darkkin elven.

Also, its good to have a hero on foot I can keep close to my Spire Guard. Both the High Warden and the Sea Warden on Skycutter are wasted if I stick them to my slow moving infantry.

Hey all, I've been promising a second pass at the things we've workshopped here for a while so here is what I have so far, condensed down into one post and edited with the fine suggestions made by you all. I haven't included any extra warscrolls, chapters, or other features because I wanted it to look as much like what Darkling Covens or another similar faction got in the GHB2017 as possible. As always please let me know if you have edits or suggestions!

Swifthawk Agents:

Allegiance Abilities:

Loreseekers: The ranks of the Swifthawk Agents include many an adventurer and the organization, it is rumored, even sends teams of such to follow rumors of caches of such artifacts. As such an army with the SWIFTHAWK AGENTS allegiance may take one additional Artefact of Power.

Natural Leaders: Swifthawk Agents work with the many peoples of Order to fight the forces of evil and chaos. Swifthawk Officers, therefore, are well accustomed to commanding units of allied forces in battle. For the purposes of resolving Command Traits, Command Abilities, and Skybanners all allied units count as having the SWIFTHAWK AGENTS keyword. 

Inspiring Banner: Swifthawk Agents distinguish themselves by the banner of their individual chapter, leading to much good-natured competition between such. Any SWIFTHAWK AGENTS units with a banner may add an addition +2 to their Bravery characteristic.

Skybanners: As long as you have a HERO on the board during your hero phase roll 2 dice, on a 7 or more you may choose on of the following effects. This effect lasts until the next successful roll to order a Skybanner.

- Friendly SWIFTHAWK AGENTS units, whenever they take a battleshock test, may roll 2 dice and take the lower result.

- Friendly SWIFTHAWK AGENTS unit can re-roll failed charge rolls until your next hero phase.

- Friendly SWIFTHAWK AGENTS unit can retreat and charge this turn.

- SWIFTHAWK AGENTS units, when they suffer unsaved wounds or mortal wounds can roll a die for each wound, on a result of 6 they can ignore that wound. This effect lasts until your next hero phase.

- Whenever a friendly SWIFTHAWK AGENTS unit is activated during the combat phase they may instead retreat their a number of inches equal to their movement score

---------------------------------

Artefacts of Power:

Arrow of Slaying: The first enemy unit that suffers an unsaved wound from one of your ranged attacks in the shooting phase suffers d3 mortal wounds in addition to any other wounds once all other wounds have been resolved. 

Swifthawk Blade: Choose one melee weapon profile for this model. Increase the attack and rend characteristics of that profile by 1.

Cloak of Displacement: Add 1 to save rolls versus ranged attacks.

Banner of Recall: Once per battle friendly SWIFTHAWK AGENTS units within 16" can retreat 2d6" during the hero phase- they must end this movement closer to the general that holds this artifact than they started it.

Lodestone Pennant: The wielder of this artifact may attempt to unbind 1 spell per turn as if they were a Wizard. If the GENERAL holds this artefact they may add 1 to their rolls to unbind.

Symbol of the Aegis: Roll a d6, on a 4+ this hero may choose a friendly SWIFTHAWK AGENTS model within 18" and that unit can add +1 to their save rolls until your next hero phase.

-------------------------

Command Traits:

Glimmering General: Whilst your GENERAL lives you may re-roll the first failed battleshock test for friendly SWIFTHAWK AGENTS unit during the batteshock phase.

Clarion Chargecaller: Once per battle your GENERAL can call the charge. Units within 12" of the GENERAL can add 2d6" to their charge distances this turn.

Savage Windrider: The GENERAL's command of his mount is impressive to behold in battle. Add 2 attacks to the weapon profile for one of the GENERAL's mounts attacks.

Tactical Maneuvers: The GENERAL may charge in the same turn that they retreated.

Staunch Defender: Whenever the GENERAL suffers a wound or mortal wound roll a d6, on a roll of 5 or better the GENERAL can ignore that wound.

Press the Line: Once per battle, when an enemy unit suffers any unsaved wounds from an attack made by one of your units you can roll a d3. The enemy suffers that many mortal wounds in addition to any other damage. 

Warscroll Battalions:

Ironweld and Swifthawks are natural bedfellows because both factions exist to support the forces of Order in their fight against the myriad forces of war and blight in the land. Here you see the two come together to meet the enemies of Order on the field of battle. 

Ironhawk Brigade- (160)

1 Cogsmith or Gunmaster

1 Skywarden

2 Cannons

2 Units of Spire Guard

1 Unit of Reavers

Swifthawk Shield Line: if the Artillery Crew of any IRONWELD ARESENAL unit is within 4" of a unit of Spire Guard from this battalion they can add 1 to save rolls made versus ranged attacks.

Paint The Target: A Cannon or Helstorm Rocket Battery in this battalion has a may add 1 to all to-hit rolls against enemy units that have suffered an unsaved wound from the unit of REAVERS in this battalion during the same shooting phase.

-----------------------------

My next foray into Battalioncrafting is into the world of Fyreslayers- again, this seems like another great thematic match given the Fyreslayers role as mercenaries. I know that the Runesmiter thing is all the rage right now... and I'm going to jump right on that bandwagon because it fits right in to the Swifthawks' penchant for moving through enemy territory. I'm seeing the Swifthawks, with promises of a good scrap and payment in eldritch artefacts found on their journeys, enlist the Fyreslayers to help them with some sort of clandestine scheme. The Shadow Warriors are not the best unit in the Swifthawks line, but I think they fit the fluff well and I really wanted a way to make them feel fun to play. I'd also like to think that the Fyreslayers would get a kick out of us Swifthawks- crazy aelves just barreling through enemy territory, smashing into the forces of chaos and death, regrouping, and doing it again.

Fyrehawk Brigade (140)

2 Runesmiter

1 Unit of Vulkite Beserkers

2 Units of Shadow Warriors

1 Units of Reavers

Fyreslayer Shortcut: Runesmiters in this battalion may add the following to their tunneling ability "If taken as a part of the Fyrehawk Brigade warscroll battalion this Runesmiter may also take a friendly unit of SHADOW WARRIORS as a part of this move."

Commando Wing: Shadow Warriors from this battalion get +1 to attack if wholly within enemy territory.

----------------------------------------------------

Lastly I wanted to do an all Swifthawk battalion because hey, this is Swifthawk Agents thread, dammit. This one is VERY straightforward and I am seeing it as an army of Swifthawks coming in HOT to deliver an important missive, their first turn move essentially is their momentum from the moments before we open camera on the battle. 

Steelwing Brigade (140)

1 Skywarden

2 Units of Skycutters

2 Units of Chariots

Steelwing Assault: At the beginning of your first movement phase roll 3d6, and discard the lowest die, all units that are a part of this battalion may add that number to their charge rolls this turn.

Scattering Retreat: Units in this battalion may retreat through enemy infantry units provided that they have enough movement for all models to end their retreat at least 3" from an other enemy unit.

@TheNotebookGM fantastic work! 
Looks great when put together. There is nothing I have to criticize, only a few wording issues.

22 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

Loreseekers: The ranks of the Swifthawk Agents include many an adventurer and the organization, it is rumored, even sends teams of such to follow rumors of caches of such artifacts. As such an army with the SWIFTHAWK AGENTS allegiance can take one additional Artefact of Power at the start of each battle.

I would change "can take one additional Artefact at the start of each battle" to "may take one additional Artefact of Power. Taking an artefact after you already know your enemies list has no precedent.

22 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

- Friendly SWIFTHAWK AGENTS unit can roll battleshock checks twice and take the better result until your next hero phase

Make it: "Roll two die and discard the lowest, for the battleshock test for every SWIFTHAWK AGENTS"

The rest looks good. I really like the "press the line" command trait. Its similar to my favorite Kharadron Artycle. Hopefully I can test these abillities soon when my Swifthawk Army is done.

@Gecktron thanks for the edits! I applied them above. My force is together, but unpainted. First game is late this week/ early next. My friend and I will probably start with Skirmish battles and move up once we feel comfortable with the rules. I'll post reports (in character) but please keep us posted if anyone tries these out!

I had a few games with my Swifthawk Force recently. Most of them were with the normal GA: Order abilities but I got to try a few selected abilities here and there.

First of all: I really like the speed of the Swifthawk Agents. I played at around 750 points and mainly used Reavers, a High Warden and some Spire Guard units. The Spire Guard didn't do much at all in my games, but the other two were great. On a small 4x4 field, they can ably pressure basically everywhere you want.  I'll add a chariot next and I hope to get my Skycutter kits soon, so I can add a Sea Warden and start my Skyruler build soon.

In regards to the abilities @TheNotebookGM , I talked with others after the game and we thought about, maybe changing the Natural Leader ability. So, instead of giving the keyword SWIFTHAWK AGENTS to every ally, you can double the available point pool for Allies. (e.g. 400 points of allies at 1000 points games and 800 at 2000 points games) (EDIT: Which feels a bit much now that I write it down. Maybe just add 50%? So 300 at 1000)

Also, Loreseeker. I like being able to take another artifact (thats why I play my Kharadrons as Barak-Urbaz :D ). But, maybe instead of taking another Swifthawk artifact, you can choose to take one from the GA: Order artifacts? Since the GH2017 you can't take multiples of the same artifact anymore, so having another table to chose from could bring a bit more viability.

I couldnt convince anybody to let me use the Skybanner mechanics yet, but I keep trying.

Also, I finished my High Warden:

Spoiler

img_20171009_151615_01_by_gecktron-dbq4bgi.jpg.4b0fc9809747705bc33f034c6710cd14.jpg

12 hours ago, Gecktron said:

I had a few games with my Swifthawk Force recently. Most of them were with the normal GA: Order abilities but I .in regards to the abilities @TheNotebookGM , I talked with others after the game and we thought about, maybe changing the Natural Leader ability. So, instead of giving the keyword SWIFTHAWK AGENTS to every ally, you can double the available point pool for Allies. (e.g. 400 points of allies at 1000 points games and 800 at 2000 points games) (EDIT: Which feels a bit much now that I write it down. Maybe just add 50%? So 300 at 1000)

Reveal hidden contents

img_20171009_151615_01_by_gecktron-dbq4bgi.jpg.4b0fc9809747705bc33f034c6710cd14.jpg

So the purpose wasn't to give every ally SA keyword but to allow the GENERAL to use their specific functions on allies- this was just kind of fitting for the idea of a very charismatic leader leading allied troops. I'd considered the ally pool approach but thought it would get more pushback for changing fundamental design so recently established over just opening a few exceptions. Can see both sides though so I'd be interested to hear what others think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29.10.2017 at 4:50 AM, TheNotebookGM said:

Mangled it a bit but it's my first go at something like this, trying to make a "High Aelf" Tenebrael Shard because I thought it would look cool. I'm going to have to get him on a 32mm base eventually but I'm chalking it up to a fun first try. 

Great conversion, I like the concept. The mage still has the ethereal look like the Mistweaver but the parts you added ties him into the Swifthawk Faction.

I worked on my Swifthawks as well. I finally put my Hawkrider/Glade Lord on Great Eagle together. Sorry for the bad quality, its still a Work in Progress. I will add better Pictures when Im finished.
 img_20171031_113136_01_by_gecktron-dbsdjz7.jpg.2fd050700e83417a72e461193fbc987d.jpg

Also, I tried using the Glade Lord rules in a small game recently and he fits right in with the rest of the army. Having a lord on eagle move along with the sky cutter across the board worked quite well. He didnt killed much with his bow that game, but a 8 wound model moving 16" a turn is really useful to distract the enemy.

@Gecktron that model looks great, nice work. I'm trudging through painting my initial 1k. 

I wanted to ask the room for some advice though. I'm looking to ball on a budget for a while until we see what might or might not be coming for aelves in the nearish term. I've got all the models except my Mistweaver for my initial 1k but I've got 200 points floating around that I could use some help spending for the move to 2k. I'm going to get the fyreslayers SC and a box of Vulkites next, once my aelven 1k is adequately painted. 

Here's what I'm looking at:

Magfather 

High Warden

2 Tenebrael Shards

Runesmiter 

Mistweaver Saih 

20 Vulkites 

2x5 Reavers 

20 Swordmasters 

I could be convinced to drop one of the big heroes, but I want to keep both Shards because they tickle me. Anyone have ideas for what wants those 200/420/460 points? My fluff is a reckless band of treasure hunters and mercenaries that operate out of a hidden town that uses mirrors/lenses to use the glow of their forges to light their vineyards. Town sustains on selling weapons, wine, and mercenary activity. 

• 1 month later...

Things I've learned in my first 4 games.

Spireguard are made of tissues and lies, don't rely on them.

Reavers are amazing for board control. So much movement, many arrows. 

High Warden loves to murder, but also will get murdered right back; I find myself sacrificing him alot on turn 4 for some greater good.

Tenebrael Shards are slippery machines of murder, especially when paired up with their own unit of Reavers

There is absolutely no reason to take SHA over Order until GW takes all of our great ideas and gives us a battletome- batteline Spireguard just aren't worth it. Unless you're already set on models and have the army, with the discontinuation of the SoD box unless you are going to stack Skywarden banners (can you even?) there really isn't much ROI when you consider the limitations of allies, I'll keep my Fyreslayer buddies any day- Grimwrath is as killy as a unit of 10 Spireguard and at a 20% discount. 

Swordmasters stick on an objective well, kill well, but will melt to a unit of 40 buffed clanrats backed up by mortars. 

• 2 months later...

Im sorry for this act of thread necromancy but I wanted to provide some closing. I finally finished my Glade Lord on Great Eagle/Night King on Azyrian Eagle conversion.

5a8864d4110c6_WhatsAppImage2018-02-16at22_38.46(1).jpeg.0bfeae864599c5f1616625db6e21bfa8.jpeg5a8864d0df18e_WhatsAppImage2018-02-16at22_39_28.jpeg.b0cb0523fc9c02a94a84e0b76bb6836c.jpeg5a8864d5d5a22_WhatsAppImage2018-02-16at22_38_46.jpeg.919096dadcf165151e346a4dd94276d7.jpeg

Im not sure how I continue working on my Swifthawks. I plan on using this army with the Tempest Eye allegiance but without any other homebrews. 
But im still thinking about the skyruler catamaran. After looking at a DE balista and the skycutter in real life im not so sure about my original plan anymore. Maybe I will turn the big balista into three of the smaller ones that come with the skycutter kit. Turning it into a flying gunboat. 

Also: GW working on the Daughters of Khaine faction gives me hope that we will see a update for the Swifthawk Agents faction somewhere in the future...

Archived