Order Draconis Post GHB 2017

Furiyen

Having failed to summon the Balewind for 3 turns in a row this last game (and therefore not get hand of glory), I am beginning to think that the 100pts would be better spent on the Noble.

I am also reconsidering the Phoenix, but only because of the potential cost increase.  Dropping the Balewind and Phoenix would allow for another Dragon Lord, or potentially 20 White Lions, but leaves about 60pts left over.  Or I add the drakeseer (also swing-y) and have 40pts for a gryphhound.  Alternative to all that, drop the phoenix and balewind to go 20 gladeguard and noble.

I have a 2-day tourney next weekend in San Diego.  Unless I want to paint up the banner noble, I will keep the balewind and report back on how it does.  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@chordDrakeseer is nice in an otherwise resilient list like SCE. But its such an easy target (and costly) in Order Draconis. I did so want a mage dragon... maybe for more narrative games!

@Tyromancer I've failed to cast Hand of Glory 8/10 of my last attempts. Almost to the point that I'm considering dropping the loremaster and just risking mystical for the wound reroll haha. Other Aelven allies are interesting, Gladeguard might make sense. Ranged is somewhat lacking otherwise. That said I built this army as a counter to Shooting meta. SO that would be contrary of me!

On 4/17/2018 at 5:10 AM, chord said:

I used a drakeseer as a Stormcast ally.  One game it dished out 15MW's in one turn with it's spell....the other time it did 1MW with it's spell....

Makes for some intense dice rolling 

I've taken the drakeseer and it does become a target, more so than the phoenix.  Once they realize the spell, it's usually a priority to get rid of it.  That may be ok, as that means they aren't focused on the other, more resilient dragons.

10 minutes ago, HadrielCaine said:

@chordDrakeseer is nice in an otherwise resilient list like SCE. But its such an easy target (and costly) in Order Draconis. I did so want a mage dragon... maybe for more narrative games!

@Tyromancer I've failed to cast Hand of Glory 8/10 of my last attempts. Almost to the point that I'm considering dropping the loremaster and just risking mystical for the wound reroll haha. Other Aelven allies are interesting, Gladeguard might make sense. Ranged is somewhat lacking otherwise. That said I built this army as a counter to Shooting meta. SO that would be contrary of me!

Ideally, the other allied unit would just be there to grab objectives, since you need the bodies in some scenarios.  For the same points as the Phoenix, there are also fulminators, but they have fewer wounds than the frostheart and won't be out front to support the battalion's initial charges.

So a recap of this last weekend at the Broadside Bash in San Diego.  I came 16th of 28, but 6th in terms of just points killed.  My first 3 games were against Tzeentch in mostly tzaangor/demon forms.  Mortal Wounds are just something I couldn't deal with.  However, I killed a lot of tzaangor (including a block of 30 on a first turn charge) and only lost my 3rd game by one point.  The Phoenix did alright these days and certainly took more damage so that the dragons could keep functioning.

Day 2 I played Seraphon and Ironjawz and won both games mid-turn 2.  I even got double turned vs the ironjawz and the hand of glory on the battalion dragon allowed it to clear off the Maw Krusha, Megaboss on foot, 2 more pigs, and a few brutes.  It survived the battle, which is rare, too.  Seraphon just couldn't stand up to the number of rend 2 attacks.  The Phoenix solo'd the slaan general after it teleported and charged the bird.  Phoenix went first and off'ed it with its claws.

If I had faced other armies that didn't produce the same number of mortal wounds, I think I would have done better.  I had never faced Tzeentch before Day 1.  I never failed the charges, but I really didn't utilize the balewind either (due to miscasts or dispells from the 27" Lord of Change range).  

@Tyromancer Tzeentch is tough work. I've done well to avoid them often on the UK scene. Ironjawz struggle generally I guess. What was the Seraphon list? I only seem to come across Kroaknado these days.

My rather good list has stopped being so fun (for me and my opponents) for casual Tuesday night games so I've come up with something that I think is a little softer but has some of the gimmicks of the list I'm familiar with:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (240)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Dragonlord (340)
- General
- Shield & Dragon Lance
- Trait: Legendary Fighter
Loremaster (100)
Spellweaver (80)
- Heartwood Staff

Battleline
10 x Glade Guard (120)
10 x Glade Guard (120)
10 x Glade Guard (120)

Units
15 x Dragon Blades (420)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220)

Total: 1980 / 2000

So the lovely thing here is three WIZARDs (including Sisters of the Thorn) Potential of: Hand of Glory, Mystic Shield and Shield of Thorns on the Phoenix 3x 2+ chance of +1 save. and Mystic Shield itself leaves the Frostheart on a 1+ Save, rerolling, bouncing mortal wounds back on 2+ in combat and then ignoring damage after that on 4+. Healing one wound back per hero phase with the artefact.

The three units of Glade Guard let me sit at home more efficiently than the 5 man Dragon Blades unit and the 15 strong unit becomes very hard to move indeed with 30 wounds and immune to Battleshock within range of the Dragonlord.

The Palladors then Zoom around grabbing objectives and the main Order Draconis force bolts up the middle. 

I'll never go first with this but it should be fun. (apologies if posting here is inappropriate as I've lost the Order Draconis allegiance here...)

On 4/27/2018 at 6:21 PM, HadrielCaine said:

@Tyromancer Tzeentch is tough work. I've done well to avoid them often on the UK scene. Ironjawz struggle generally I guess. What was the Seraphon list? I only seem to come across Kroaknado these days.

He didn't have Kroak or the Balewind, just 2 big blocks of temple guard, 1 pack of skinks, 6 kroxigor, a bastillidon (sp), a carnosaur, and a few characters on foot.  1 unit of temple guard and the bastillidon were killed on my charge and the carnosaur was gravely wounded and with the Slaan dying the next phase, it didn't go all that well from there.

I've run something similar pre-LVO for a primer a store in the Bay Area ran.  I didn't go to the LVO, but wanted to take a mixed order to the event as I thought it would be useful to those going.  It turned out to be loads of fun as well.  I won 1 (vs BCR) and had 2 close losses (new Nurgle w/ glottkin and KO mixed order) after that. 

2 DLs

1 FHP

1 Dragonseer

1 loremaster

10 glade guard
10 HE spearmen

10 HE spearmen

2 reaper bolt throwers

5 warlocks

I think that was the list.  

Archived