House-rules, what do you use and what would you like to see?

I like house rules that increase your options; I don't like ones that create new restrictions or make fundamental changes to the way the game is played.

I'm all for eliminating battle line requirements. I also like the idea of being more flexible about allegiance rules; why can't a Dispossessed army include some of the Ironweld Arsenal models and still be "dispossed"? Why can't a Beastclaw Army have a gargant ally and still be Beastclaw Raiders?. These are examples of house rules that increase your options.

I don't like the idea of putting more limits on shooting. The reason is that people spend a lot of time and money designing, building, and painting their armies. If you put in the money and time designing and building an army that focuses on shooting, it would suck to have a bunch of guys and gals who don't use shooting make houserules that nerf your playstyle. This falls into that category of "new restrictions" that I don't like.

As for house rules that make fundamental changes to the way the game is played, such as shared phases or eliminating initiative, I am opposed to them because of how they balkanize the game. Part of the beauty of the game of football (soccer for Americans and Aussies) is that the same exact game that is played on TV is the game your kid plays in the field and the exact same rules used in one part of the world are used in all parts of the world. You can go from a club in Australia to a club in Denmark or Sweden or Mexico and find the exact same game with the exact same rules being played. That's part of what makes it the most popular sport on the planet. Creating a hodgepodge of house rules ruins this. I like the fact that when I go on holiday this year I can walk into the GW store wherever I'm at and play the exact same game I play at home.

Having said all of that, this mainly applies to stores, clubs, Meetup groups, Facebook communities and other such environments that seek to form communities. If it's a closed group or just you and a handful of friends who get together at your house every Saturday, then play however you want.

With 8th edition being on our doorstep and books completely leaked I think there are a lot of potential things to consider to use for Age of Sigmar. Especially revolving indeed how Magic works and Ranged attack works for example.

@Tiny It's great to see some very clear examples, thanks for sharing them! I'll try to come back with some from 40K back to AoS again.

I believe that AoS doesn't need the Force Chart as much as 40K does (by large because of the way AoS still doesn't have S/T thus units are simply said much easier to balance and do not ****** need a restriction because they will always damage each other like printed on the Warscroll).
However what I do think are interesting concepts to work towards is increasing the depth of how terrain interacts with us, reshaping how Magic works or Ranged and Melee attacks for that matter.

Overall thanks for the thoughts so far guys!

17 minutes ago, Killax said:

I believe that AoS doesn't need the Force Chart as much as 40K does (by large because of the way AoS still doesn't have S/T thus units are simply said much easier to balance

Just an FYI, not all of us play 40K. If you use language from 40K and reference rules from that system, especially if you use abbreviated terms (like S/T), some of us have no clue what you just said.

2 minutes ago, Trout said:

Just an FYI, not all of us play 40K. If you use language from 40K and reference rules from that system, especially if you use abbreviated terms (like S/T), some of us have no clue what you just said.

Ah well, I mend Strenght en Toughness, aswell as Weapon Skill and Ballistic Skill. One of the things that made 40K and WFB cool systems was offcourse the way these stats interacted with each other and gave a to Hit roll and to Wound roll. The more these stats can fluctuate the more difficult balancing becomes but the advantage of it is that certain characteristics can be added.
By example 40K has ran quite some editions without a Movement char and now regained it. The cool thing of this is that Aeldari/Aelfs are now quite fast, faster as your regular human, as the narrative told us for years :) 

Archived