Warding Lantern of Lord Castellant

b1ackni9htgaming

Question

I'm hoping that someone could clearly state how this ability is supposed to work.

Here's an example:

I deal 8 wounds to a unit of Liberators who have the Warding Lantern ability on them. They roll their saves and save 5 of them, two of which are 6's (in this case improved to 7's). 3 wounds are dealt with 1 damage a piece. The unit currently does not have any wounds on any if the models in the unit.

How is the damage resolved?

Do the two 6's cancel out 2 of my wounds? Letting only 1 wound through?

Do the 6's do nothing, as the unit is currently unwounded before my attack, and 3 wounds go through?

How does Warding Lantern work against attacks that deal multiple points of damage?

I want to make sure that my local group has been playing this correctly.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

4 answers to this question

To be fair, I had the same question too. Not everybody knows there's a FAQ, and honestly, stuff like this should be in the main book itself, especially since it's the second battletome for the stormcasts already. 

As others have stated, the FAQ does answer this:

"...you must first heal wounds for saves of 7 or more, and then apply the damage inflicted by attacks that were not saved."

But as you have asked for further clarification...

In order do these steps:

1) Roll saves.

2) Heal wound for any 7 or more.

3) Apply damage from the attacks.

You apply the healing BEFORE the damage from the attacks, which means that the healing is useless against currently incoming attacks and is used only to heal wounds previously suffered by the unit.   In certain circumstances this of course could spare you the loss of a model.

In the example you have given, the unit would heal no wounds because it is already at full strength before the damage from the attacks are applied.

Archived