Starting my first death army FEC

Dracothjay

Hi guys, been playing as order for far too long. Time for a change. I really thought about it and want to start a FEC army. I have £100 spare, so going to buy 2 start collecting boxes.

any noob FEC player advice you can give me? What I should auto include, prioritise etc.

thanks.

Ghoul King on Terrorgeist has been amazing for me, that spell is just so good. Large units of horrors have been performing well too. I'd probably build GK on TG, 6 Horrors and 20 Ghouls from those kits. Maybe magnetize the other GK on foot/to the zombie dragon so you can play smaller games too :P

Well, I'm going to make a GKoTG and a GKoZD. As for which I prefer, I don't know.

TG version for unholy vitality is amazing, but the TG feeding frenzy version is just amazing! I'm so torn as to which to make general already and I don't even have them yet. 

I know I cannfi lad both and they are spells, but for the command ability I do t think I will ever plan on summoning. The TG looks like it hits harder, but I'm going to rely on fat blocks of crypt horrors to do my heavy lifting.

im also auto including a varghulf in every list as it's a nice way to resurrect dead crypt horrors/ghouls etc.

Terrorgheist is better. That maw attack just wrecks things and unholy vitality on it makes it literally unkillable. Or at least very very hard to kill.  Build you ghoul king separate so you have option of running ghoul king separately which would allow you to use his ability to increase attacks. 

Other good part of FEC is groups of crypt horrors.  Those things WRECK anything in groups of 6 or more. 6 crypt horrors took out a stonehorn. Keep them within 15" of king for rerolls to hit. And run a haunter or a vargulf to regenerate them. 

The attemdamts at court formation is solid. All crypt horrors get rerolls of failed hits and they don't need to be within 15" of a GK. sold on that formation. 

Amy other tips? 

I jave £100 spare, thinking 1 start collecting box and a varghulf or 2 start collecting boxes 

Attendants is nice but not for the points. You generally want to keep your army close anyway. They need the hit rerolls, the vargulf needs the casting to get rerolls, your horrors need to be 10" of vargulf. FEC has to stick together for max effect. That's why ghoul patrol is not that good in reality. So I wouldn't spend points on battalion. Also I'd rather run 12 in a unit as a deathstar then 3 small units. That way it will never die and can always be regenerated.  If your unit is wiped then it can't come back

as others have said, gk on gheist with unholy vitality and cursed book, maybe with a mourngul nearby and it heals d3 means it is literally invincible. I have NEVER had it die in a game even against things like kurnoth hunter spam or skyfire spam. Similarly 12 crypt horrors wih a shield or vitality on it is so demoralizing when your opponent kills 3 with 62 attacks and then next turn you regenerating them back. 

On that front I choose terrorgheist over zombie dragon. It's about sticking around. I park the terrorgheist in an objective in 3 places of power with 14" move turn 1 and that's almost an auto win if I can fight for any other one. Maw attack is crazy good. And death shriek against low bravery armies is devastating. Literally low bravery heros will just instantly get Gibbed by death shriek. If you really want +1 attack then run a vampire lord for a good second hero.  Or run a necromancer for another faster than can give your horrors an extra pile in

3 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

It if you include a vampire lord or another hero non FEC don't you lose the FEC allegiance?

scratch that, FEC don't have any specific allegiance do they? 

Not as of yet.  For now there is zero reason (other than fluff) to not include non-FEC units or heroes.

4 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

It if you include a vampire lord or another hero non FEC don't you lose the FEC allegiance?

scratch that, FEC don't have any specific allegiance do they? 

Only allegiance related rule FEC have is if your general is a Crypt Haunter Couriter and you have FEC keyword (May not even require that) which enables you to have Crypt Horrors as battleline. This isnt really worth it, so its better left ignored.

Feel free to include any non-fec unit like a necromancer or whatever, I like having a Vampire Lord for instance. I used to dislike the idea of having a mixed FEC and Death army, but the more I read the AoS books (e.g.Lord of Undeath) the more i liked the idea as it appeared quite common from a narrative PoV for FEC to often fight with other Death forces.

4 hours ago, Hamartia said:

Only allegiance related rule FEC have is if your general is a Crypt Haunter Couriter and you have FEC keyword (May not even require that) which enables you to have Crypt Horrors as battleline. This isnt really worth it, so its better left ignored.

Feel free to include any non-fec unit like a necromancer or whatever, I like having a Vampire Lord for instance. I used to dislike the idea of having a mixed FEC and Death army, but the more I read the AoS books (e.g.Lord of Undeath) the more i liked the idea as it appeared quite common from a narrative PoV for FEC to often fight with other Death forces.

Well that is because we have Visiting Dignitaries (Vampires), Soldiers With Vow of Silence (Skeletons; could also be "Mercenary Companies"), Traveling Wizards (Necromancers) and Peasant Militias (Zombies) and... well I haven't thought of a "FEC-view" for Nighthaunt yet.  Also angelic messengers (Morghasts) and, of course, the Noble Cloud Giant (Mournghoul).

Archived