Dark Aelves ORDER - 1000 and 2000

CaptKeiv

Hi, I'm new to Dark Aelves, and while waiting for the new book, this is what I made up.

Tenebrael Shard -120

General - +1 atk and +1 dmg on reaper gauntlets (artefact and command)

LoreMaster - 100

Dreadlord on Dragon - 340

10x Dreadspears - 80

10x Dreadspears - 80

10x Dreadspears - 80

Reaper Bolt Thrower - 120

Loremaster will either buff a bolt thrower or the dreadlord in combat. Tenebrael will be a big dmg dealer to weak units, wizards, and warmachines.

Dreadspears take objectives and protects bolt thrower. 

Tenebrael Shard -120

General - +1 atk and +1 dmg on reaper gauntlets (artefact and command)

LoreMaster - 100

10x Dreadspears - 80

10x Dreadspears - 80

10x Dreadspears - 80

War Hydra - 240

War Hydra - 240

Let me know what you think! 

Honestly, it looks pretty good for what you've got to work with. I think Reaper Bolt Throwers might be compendium, which might lock you out of some tournaments if you're into that sort of thing (There's a good chance I'm wrong about that though, I'm not well-informed about whether Dark Elf compendium units are usually allowed there, since almost no one brings Dark elves to it anyway ;) Such a shame)

I'd say the strength of your 2000 point list is your monsters, which I would expect to tear through your enemy - and my only concern there is the movespeed of the Hydras compared to the Dreadlords on Black dragons. Since you're running an Order allegiance list anyway, it might be worth looking into other monsters as an alternative. Just to consider all your options. Don't get me wrong, the Hydra is great for what it does, but if they arrive too late to a fight, you might see your Dreadlords get murdered in their stead. Dark Elves are great for using alternative monsters, since you can easily say they've enslaved whatever it is they field (bonus points for theming the model accordingly) 

This is basically just to suggest anything at all, because as I said, the list is solid (Although don't expect to win every battle, since dark elves are currently on the weak side of things due to lack of a proper battletome/update/lack of exiles keyword)

Thanks for your feedback!

I agree with what you said pretty much! Do not forgot the hydras can charge 3d6 minus the worst die. They can reach pretty far quick.

Good hint on modeling ideas, love it!

9 hours ago, CaptKeiv said:

Thanks for your feedback!

I agree with what you said pretty much! Do not forgot the hydras can charge 3d6 minus the worst die. They can reach pretty far quick.

Good hint on modeling ideas, love it!

Aye, their charge is great, but their regular movement is almost half of that of a black dragon, which is my concern ;) mind you, it might not be a problem in actual play. 

The issue would essentially be that you're almost guaranteed to send your dragons in first (unless you're bunkering up) to stall out your enemy/murder them while your hydras and dreadspears move to hold the objectives.

Basically, you're likely to sacrifice your entire leadership (minus the loremaster) in a killing spree (inflicting massive casualties on the enemy) while your 'grunts' save the day by camping objectives :) it's sort of backwards (dark elves would rather sacrifice their minions), but hilarious approach (and probably really effective) - the hydras would then be your second sacrifical wave, since things will be dead by the time they catch up. I say sacrificial, because you should expect most of your stuff to die unless you wipe out the enemy entirely. Blood for the blood god. 

I think Tenebrael Shard will be the deciding factor, as you can enable your dragons by taking out threats that would vaporize them. Consider putting the loremaster spell on him before he attempts a teleport, if no better targets are present. You could also swap out the loremaster for an assassin hidden in Tenebrael for that extra killy stabby factor, at the cost of loremaster support, if you so wish.

The above is purely hypothetical of course, and is assuming your offensive approach. You can afford a more defensive style due to your reaper bolt throwers ;) but.. fortune favors the bold.

Your List looks good! You got two of the big damage dealing units of the Dark Aelfs. The Dragons and the RBT´s. Having tree of 'em will pump out 18 pretty reliable (3x6 wounds) into enemy units with rend -1. The Dragons will do solid damage after charging. As Mayple already explained the Hydras wont keep up with your dragons. Note also that the Hydras have a pretty lackluster damage output. After doing the maths I only find 5,89 wounds on full health on a 240 Point Model. That is pretty bad! Hydras are more like an Anvil Unit which can take a lot of damage, but wont do much in return. They can hold your flank and yes they have a great charge range. I personally understand them more as a tarpit Unit for binding away enemy key Units.

Dreadspears are always great as a chaff Unit to shield your Reaper Bolt Throwers (RBT).

If you want do increase your damage output I recommend dropping 1-2 Hydras and get some Drakespawn Knights or Executioners.

You could also swap on Dreadlord on Dragon for a sorceress on Dragon (same points) to buff the bravery of Dreadspears (or Executioners) passivly and increase the save on your Dreadlord on Dragon via Mystic shield.

Archived