Basic Q about attacks

stillness

Question

Noob here, be gentle!

So: I have a unit of Warriors of Chaos. Their warscroll says that I can either have the unit take 2 hand weapons, or rune shields. If they take 2 hand weapons, presumably they get an extra attack. If they take rune shields, then the rune shield rule as detailed in the warscroll applies.

All clear to me so far.

The warscroll *also* says that in the unit I may take a hornblower, and if I do, I get a benefit.

My question is this: if I take a hornblower, does that model contribute to the unit's attacks? The hornblower rule doesn't state that being a hornblower makes a model lose its attacks, and since weapons are chosen on a per-unit rather than per-model basis (thank God!), I don't see how a hornblower being modeled differently would change its attacks.

Still, it *does* seem like the spirit of the rules is that you should give up something to get the hornblower benefit, otherwise why is it even an option? You'd take it every time.

Any clarification would be helpful!

2 answers to this question

In addition to @BaldoBeardo's answer, be careful about what happens when a model wields two weapons - the warscroll typically tells you what it does (and it rarely if ever doubles your attacks). In this case the Berserk Fury ability on the warscroll indicates that you reroll 1s to wound - and that's the only bonus they get for dual-wielding. 

Archived